Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bravofivethree

Anyone swapped barrels on a savage 110/111 ?

6 posts in this topic

it was a 20in threaded .. the barrel on it now is a 24. Its a 7mm mag. I have noticed a lot of the 308 sniper rifles use a 20in barrel and are good out to 400+ yards. the shorter barrel would make it easier to carry and transport. Would it affect accuracy that much? Since the 7 is a smaller bullet with the same load as the 308, wouldnt it get similar performance from a 20?Jeff

The larger 7 mm mag will lose more velocity per inch removed than the 308 plus there will be increased muzzle blast. I will still have more than enough velocity to shoot past 800 yards and probably 1,000 yards. Accuracy should not be affected as long as you crown the barrel correctly.I've changed a lot of Savage barrels on 22.250s, 243's, 300 WSMs, etc

Changing 308 to 30 06 or 243 is pretty easy because all the case heads share the same dementions. Your only hitch would be if your 7mm Mag bolt face will except a 308 and extract. I dont shoot 7mm Mag so I dont have one to compare. Good luck DR

Close, but not quite. The .243 yes, but the 06 is longer and must fit in a long action. I suppose you could get proper head space and make it work as a single shot, but an 06 will not fit in the shorter .308/.243 magazine, built in or detachable.

Changing 308 to 30 06 or 243 is pretty easy because all the case heads share the same dementions. Your only hitch would be if your 7mm Mag bolt face will except a 308 and extract. I dont shoot 7mm Mag so I dont have one to compare. Good luck DR
The Savage bolt is three pieces with a replaceable bolt head. A complete replacement bolthead cost $55 and you can convert the magnum bolt to a non magnum one.

Thats handy! And I hadnt thought about the mag length. DR