Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jawbreaker

One happy kid

18 posts in this topic

I finished the rifle that I modified for my son the other day and gave it to him for his birthday yesturday. I cut down the stock on my 22-250 and posted the beginning of the process the other day and figured I would show you guys the end result. Here is the rifle before I started.DSCF0002.jpg and here's one as I started the project.002-3.jpghere is the copleted rifle.004-1.jpg And here is one with the rifle, lanyard and 2 calls I made him. The calls are made from the piece of stock that I cut off of the rifle.006-1.jpg All he can talk about now is how long it will be before he can take the hunter safety coarse. Thanks for looking, Ron

I personally think the end result is amazingly beautiful. I would think a kid would like it either way though! Maybe even camo more than wood.....

I wanted to camo it again so I didn't have to remove any camo, just repaint it but he wanted the stock to be natural so I sanded the paint off of the stock and removed it from the barrel, receiver and scope with acetone and gun scrubber. I have enough wood to make another call or 2 so I may make a coule for myself with that. I was going to cut the barrel down also but figured it would only drop the weight by a half a pound or less so it will have a 22" barrel instead of an 18" barrel.

Very nice work with both the rifle and the young man. You know what would be really special would be if you were to make him a call also out of the cut off wood. That way he could call in and kill a coyote all with (pieces of) the rifle that dad gave him. That would be about as good a Kodak moment as there could be. Just a thought. And again, great going on both :)

I wanted to camo it again so I didn't have to remove any camo, just repaint it but he wanted the stock to be natural so I sanded the paint off of the stock and removed it from the barrel, receiver and scope with acetone and gun scrubber. I have enough wood to make another call or 2 so I may make a coule for myself with that. I was going to cut the barrel down also but figured it would only drop the weight by a half a pound or less so it will have a 22" barrel instead of an 18" barrel.
He said the calls were for the boy in the post where he posted the picture of them.

Thanks Braz, I read right over that part in the first post. Darn cold meds :) Can't wait to see the successful hunt pics.

Thanks Braz, I read right over that part in the first post. Darn cold meds :) Can't wait to see the successful hunt pics.
Hey believe me when i say I understand what the meds can do to you. I take so many pills every morning, I sometimes wonder if I need breakfast, or at least if I have room for it. :lol:ron I forgot to mention nice job on those calls. love he fact that you made hem from the stock wood.

Great work there Ron. You're boy must be thrilled.

Gorgeous work, Ron... on ALL of it. I know your son is one happy camper. :)

very very nice !! and keep the barrel long.