Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jawbreaker

hunt prizes

15 posts in this topic

I was asked to make some calls for prizes at a hunt in December, so I made some time and put these together. Just wanted to know what you guys think, I kind of like this laminated wood. 039.jpg Thanks for looking Ron

Love them ! The laminated looks like they are made from some type of gun-stock material? I especially like the light colored one lying down, not sure what kind of material that is ? Are they all predator calls ?

They are all predator call although I can voice the open reeds to do a good cow elk chirp. The light call laying down on the right is made from a piece of cholla cactus I found while hunting up in the desert.

The light call laying down on the right is made from a piece of cholla cactus I found while hunting up in the desert.
I love the look of that one, but I would be scared that if I ever set it down I would never find it again!

Those are all sweet. nice work!

Look out for those manzanita root balls too, the burl grain is always pretty cool lookin and the wood is bright red. Takes a little searching to find em without a little rot but for calls you could probably get 3-4 out of a small one. Just make sure your lathe tools are sharp!

Big problem with manzinata is it cracks so much.

Not if its dryed good and sealed well. Do you mean from turning it with all those voids from rocks in the soil? Just gotta go slow and have very sharp tools.