Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
300wsm

Brass cleaning recipes

16 posts in this topic

So what do you use in your vibe tumbler to clean dirty brass? I'm using Lymann treated corn cob, and it' OK but it's very slow to clean tarnished brass. The guy at Seirra Arms told me to add fast orange hand cleaner with pumice,I added some and I think it helped.,,300wsm

I just can't justify the money right now unfortunately (especially since I have about 50 pounds of ground walnut on hand) but someone had posted a thread a while back about their stainless steel rods they used to clean brass with. I want it! Some day I will get it. But do a search for it, it will male your head spin how good the brass looks afterwards.

guys who use the ss media say its da bomb... downside is you need a rotary tumbler ($150) to get it to work properly... i looked at a smallish 3# HF rotary tumbler for about $30, but thought it would be better to save up for a #15 drum where you can get all the cases done at once

Don't know if you guys have tried this method but, I noticed my buddy tumbling his loaded ammo as opposed to the brass, so I tried it and still use this method. I've found that the only difference it makes is there is less cleanup and the ammo cleans faster. I use walnut media with brass polish I fot from Midway. Anyone else use this method?

Frank:Here is my solution...Walnut shells for small case mouths and corn for 45 acp...but add this fine product from Midway:Iosso Brass Case Polish 8 oz LiquidProduct #: 888439 Iosso #: 10600 Really works fast and efficiently.

Besides the obvious issue of a discharge with loaded ammo, I have more fear of the powder grinding itself down and becoming finer, ie, more surface area and faster burning. I knew a guy that used to tumble loaded ammo, and told him to compare the same load tumbled and not tumbled. The reply? "Yeah, the tumbled ammo definitely had a bit more recoil and felt a little hotter". And that was with pistol ammo. Don't even want to think about rifle ammo!

I used to use the Lyman Tuffnut but had problems with media sticking in the primer holes. I have switched over to Zilla crushed walnut (lizzard liter) and never looked back. I add a bit of Dillon polish every so often and it awesome. You can pick up the Zilla at Petsmart or similar pet supply store.

Ill second the IOSSO cleaners. they work fast and well. I use the dip and dont even tumble any more. it leaves the cases clean but not polished. personaly thats all I care is that they are clean. pollished ammo doesnt shoot any better. DR

I use either walnut or corncob with NuFinish from Harbor Freight tools let it polish overnight next day everything shines like a diamond in a goats ass!

Since I'm not in the habit of running around lifting goats tails, I"M not really sure how shinney that is. :signs165xk::signs1180lq:

Lizard litter from Pet-Smart with Nu-Finish. Let 'em cook fer coupla' hours. Store in a baggie, cuz I don't have any goats.

I just add some flitz to corn cob media thats to small to get in the flash holes and a couple hours later I get brass that shines like jewelry.

I polish before so that it is easier to size and less dirt in the dies. Not really really doing it to make my ammo purdy!