Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
True2ThySelf

Went clamming 2011-11-25

7 posts in this topic

Looking at the picture I would advise some caution. The F&G lady warden that likes to patrol there insists on a metal gauge to check the size. Do you know what size is legal? Although I proved my clams were legal she remained nasty about it until I told her write the ticket and I'll see you at court. Only then did she back down. You may also want to look at how many are a limit.Good luck!

I used a plastic caliper to measure size (minimum size limit is 1.5 inches). The two nice DFG game wardens I met even used my calipers to measure a few of the clams. The bag limit on the littleneck clams is 50 while the limit on the mussels is 10 pounds in shell. If the three mussels I kept were close to the 10 pound limit I would have not bothered with the clams and would have eaten for a few days! :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

When I was a kid, we used to go to Pismo beach, and get big pismo clams. My mom would make a clam chowder that was out of this world. Tom

I would like to try Bodega Bay and clam, I hear they have long necks yum

When I was in college we would go to Pismo and dive the outer reef for huge pismo clams. Then have a fire and large pot /potatoes/milk etc and make clam chowder for a big group. That was fun. Still go to Pismo but no clams. Darn sea otters!!!We use to go to Dillon Beach and get the long neck clams for chowder. We had slotted shovels and big PVC tubes to help get them.We also would get crabs and cook them there. Then dive for Abs and fry them in my wok or BBQ them. Made for some good eating. Need to go back again.

I prefer the little neck clams over the Pismo clams. I'll have to get my fishing license for this year and head out again later this month :sport037fn4:. I see this spot where I walk in the mud and some type of shellfish squirts water from the ground into the air. I've tried to dig them but they're too deep! If anyone is around Ventura and wants to dig in stinky mud, let me know. I'm curious as to what these are and how to prepare them :popcorn:.