Bennie

Rifle Help ????

39 posts in this topic

For some reason I have a suspicion that the brake may be to blame. Not that it is causing a scope wrecking recoil pulse but that it was possibly either installed just a few thousandths off center and allowing a greater amount of gas to blow past one side of the bullet, or that it is installed properly but was bored to large and allowing way to much gas around the bullet and causing an unpredictable bullet departure. Is the brake removable? If you could shoot the gun without the brake it would really help to narrow down the possibilities.

Bennie, I think you should talk with the gunsmith who made the rifle and see what he says.

I have sent them E-mails, and they have unbelievably contacted me twice over the holidays in the last two days. I know we will get this rifle fixed. It is just a matter of time. Hopefully a short time. I don't even care if I have to tell everyone here I am real Stupid. I just want this thing to shoot straight.Clampdaddy I am waiting to see what the smith has to say as of now. If the Muzzle Brake is removable I can not tell by looking at it. I cant see any machineing marks that tells me it will screw off. The web site where the rifles was built says that it is removable but that it looks like part of the barrel. I can not tell by looking that it is not part of the barrel. The craftsmanship in this rife is pretty good. I am really hoping that it is something real simple to fix.P.S. I got this from another site just reading about these rifles.(keep in mind a 5lb 300 is gonna lay a pop on you. the recoil force is not bad, but the velocity is way sharp, so scopes are not likely to last long......been down that road too.)So I think I better just put a High end Scope on it and Shoot it again and go from there.

The Gunsmith and I have been talking via e-mail. He says he thinks it is a bedding issue. He said he really can't tell with out me sending it back. But said the rifle should definitely shoot a a lot better than what I am claiming it will do. So back to the builder it goes.

Glad to hear he is willing to look at it and get it fixed.
Me too John. He is a good smith. As a matter of fact I am liking him better all the time! That is why I refuse to bad mouth him. I may be a little dumb, but know when to keep my mouth shut. We have been talking back and forth and I told Him I tried to slide a dollar bill under the barrel and it would not fit. That is when he said send it back, there is definitely a problem. He said his recommended torque on the action screws was 50 inch lbs. I told him the truth, and told him well then I over torqued them, because I torqued them to 65 inch lbs. He could have laid the blame on me right there but he did not. He said that should not make a difference. Seems like he is a pretty Straight Up guy to me. Also I want every one to know that his rifle has been setting in a safe for a long time and I am not the person who won it. So the fact that he is working on it with me means a lot.Bottom line is I just want it fixed even if I have to pay a little. The rifle is worthless as it is right now. To light to even make a good club. LOL

also ask him if its a factory chamber or a match chamber could just be the ammo is not contacting the lands just right. or not offsetting them.

It's been a couple weeks and I was just wondering if you had heard anything or finally got it figured out?

I am saving money for some High end glass. I have talked to the smith several times and other people that have one of his rifles. I am sure that this rifle is breaking the scopes now. I will let you all know as soon as I can afford too. Christmas time is a bad time for me to be buying my self a high end scope. I am broke right now. LOL

One inexpensive way, would be to take it to a competent gunsmith to check out the barrel. They may not find anything even if there is a problem but it can't hurt, & again, "should" be relatively inexpensive. What Frank said. I would also look at the scope mounts, but I would think that the smith has enough sence to put quality low profile mounts on it.Tom

I am saving money for some High end glass. I have talked to the smith several times and other people that have one of his rifles. I am sure that this rifle is breaking the scopes now. I will let you all know as soon as I can afford too. Christmas time is a bad time for me to be buying my self a high end scope. I am broke right now. LOL
I hear you on the money and Christmas thing!!! Sounds kind of silly when I say it, but I hope it is just a glass problem, as that would be about as simple a fix as possible, even if it's not the cheapest. Best of luck. It was just in the back of my mind the other day and curiosity got the better of me.

I would be surprised that is was the scope. If its kicking that hard you dont want it anyway. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: