Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rusled

federal 223 cases

11 posts in this topic

Sorted some 223 cases. As I started priming them with CCI 400's I found that they would fall out of the federal cases.I have never experenced this before in other calibers. Does the Federal Case in 223 need a special primer ?

Normally when that occurs it's due to excessive case pressure. But have you resized or cleaned the primer pockets or done anything else to the brass? Are they new cases or how many times have they been fired?

I've loaded Federal .223 with Federal Gold Medal Small Rifle Match primes with no problems. Might be worth a try.

If your cases are new and even once firing can cause this there is a tool you can use to save the cases. I bought one of these for some Remington cases that had loose primers. It works well for fixing this problem. I wait until I get a large number of cases before using it.http://www.midwayusa.com/product/339607/r-...kets?cm_vc=S015

I'd toss em....223 cases are pretty cheap. If you had some hard to find or expensive brass, that tool would be a good investment.

+1 Its not worth buyin a new tool just to save 223 brass IMO. Winny brass has always been good for my applications with well over 10 reloads per case. Now if yer buying Lapua, then maybe rethink it. Good luck

I thought you had a bunch. I got the tool on sale and it's come in handy for other brass. They make a large primer pocket version too and I have one of those as well. I like tools.

Over @ Handloadersbench they had a thread devoted to primer pocket problems. Seems that 223 Federal cases had a thin web design causeing the primer pocket to enlarge when fired. Guess there were some bad lots.

Try another brand of primer. If that don't work, then get rid of the them. It's not worth missing around with 223 brass... they're cheap.

That is an interesting tool. With the price of 223 brass being what it is, I wouldn't bother with trying to fix loose primer pockets on 223 cases. Now if I had a rifle that required expensive hard to find brass, that type of tool would be well worth the asking price.