Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BearWhoHunts

357/38 lead free - anyone load for it?

11 posts in this topic

Right now I am using some federal 140 grain barnes expander. They were the only lead free .357 I could find online when I was looking. I am going to be using .357/38 quite a lot in the condor area and have started reloading - anyone work up any interesting/effective hunting loads for yotes, pig, deer or rabbits?I am going to be using a few S&W K frames and a 1894c.

Nothing to add for 38/357 hunting lead free loads.However, I am building my own 38 spl steel shot snake shot loads for the condor (condum) area.I like my little S&W Airweight for snakes and attack varmints.Some of those pesky varmints have been zombie-ized and have no fear. :two-cents:

If Rob uses the CCI plastic shot capsules he should be perfectly fine since the hard steel will never come in contact with the barrel. http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/313962/sp...ecial-box-of-50As far as lead-free .357. I have seen (but never used) these on Midway's site before. It's a hollow pointed all copper bullet, not much to screw up there. But best of all, you don't have to sell your sell and use b.....s bullets! And they are the same price for 50 instead of 20.http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/444748/ge...-free-box-of-50

Bisley...you are right on...I am waiting for the CCi plastic shot capsules from Midway...back ordered. WOW am I that transparent? :two-cents:

Hey there Bear. I am loading up the Barnes TACXP 110gr bullets under 5.5gr of Universal with Winchester small pistol primers to a COAL 1.515I haven't used them on anything yet, except for the range. They shoot lower then similar 158gr round nose bullets I had purchased from Fiocchii but 6.0 grains is the max for my +P J frame. I was also testing at 100 yards so thats not much of a real life comparison for a snub nose pistol. I am assuming the hollow point is causing the bullet to drift and the 48 grain difference? Good luck with your loads.

Haha, no Rob, not transparent, just wise. I've seen and read many of your posts and know this ain't your first rodeo :( That, and I figure I am also the only one alive who still uses gas checks and home-made cardboard wads to make their snake loads with like Grandpa did.

I am assuming the hollow point is causing the bullet to drift and the 48 grain difference?
Hollow points shouldn't have anything to do with it BullsEye. Remember that one of the most popular match bullets around is the Sierra 168gr Hollow Point Boat Tail. It has more to do with the weight. As a general rule of thumb, lighter bullets from a pistol tend to shoot lower. It has to do with faster speed, exiting the rising barrel sooner, less B.C., and such. Your results are actually pretty normal. Always nice to hear, isn't it?

Using Ramshot Enforcer with the 140gr Barnes... I loaded 0.2 grains short of the max listed on Ramshot's website and it chronies at 1275 using a 3 shot average...

Haha, no Rob, not transparent, just wise. I've seen and read many of your posts and know this ain't your first rodeo :smiley_kewlpics: That, and I figure I am also the only one alive who still uses gas checks and home-made cardboard wads to make their snake loads with like Grandpa did.Hollow points shouldn't have anything to do with it BullsEye. Remember that one of the most popular match bullets around is the Sierra 168gr Hollow Point Boat Tail. It has more to do with the weight. As a general rule of thumb, lighter bullets from a pistol tend to shoot lower. It has to do with faster speed, exiting the rising barrel sooner, less B.C., and such. Your results are actually pretty normal. Always nice to hear, isn't it?
Thats good to know. Thanks for the info. Now if I could shoot a decent group with that snubby at a distance farther then 10 feet with out a rest I would be more comfortable carrying that thing in the woods. But then again thats why I have a 30-06. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

Thanks everyone. I am going to be putting these goodies on my x-mas wish list! Rob- I have been thinking about loading some of those for my uncle. He is deathly scared of rattlers and has seen more than anyone that I know. He works out in Mojave and has some of the best stories. I am getting him some snake chaps this year so some snake shot will be the icing on the cake!