Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nje

blacktail fawn distress

17 posts in this topic

does anyone know where i can pick up a blacktailed or mule deer fawn distress call? everything i have found has been whitetail. thanks, Nate

Just take a rabbit distress call and blow it very softly. It will replicate the fawn distress. If you need a call, check the classified, I've some there that will work well. I've used them and called in does that are very mad!

I don't think it makes a difference they are very similar, I've called in does using jackrabbit distress. Just remember you can't use an e-caller to call in and shoot deer.

What are you trying to call in? If coyotes, it will not matter whether it's a blacktail or whitetail distress sound. We've called in & slayed a coyote with the whitetail sound in a strictly mule deer area.

Ive called in a bear cub and its mother with a fawn in distress call so be careful what you wish for.

And lions love the fawns too. :smiley-outta-here:

i am trying to call in bear and am aware of the rules regarding electronic calls. looking for a mouth call. i listened to a whitetail and a blacktail on a friends electronic caller and there is a noticable difference. i took a bear during archery season that a buddy called in with a blacktailed fawn distress call and it was the biggest rush i have ever had. beats jumping out of a plane. he doesn't remember where he got the call but told me he has had better luck than with the whitetail call which he gave me. thanks, nate

If I knew what a blacktail distress sounded like I could probably tune an open reed to match it but I don't really have time to work on calls now. If you can't find what you're looking for let me know and I will see what I can come up with.

I really don't think a bear is going to sit back and say "That's a whitetail, and we don't have them in this country. Must be some hunter trying to fool me. I don't think I'll go for it though." Come on, if it sounds at all like a fawn in distress, it will work just as well, whether "whitetail" or "blacktail" or "mulie" or whatever.

Animals dont have the capacity to reason like that. Distress is Distress, and predators will come and check it out.

still would like to have a distress call from a blacktail or muley. i won't put a sticker of a whitetail on my truck but it's still a deer. i am not trying to say this works or this doesn't, i would just like to have the call if it exists. if someone here can point me in the right direction or get me one(let me know how much) it would be greatly appreciated. thanks guys, Nate.

DXXN IT, Braz & Dave... There you two go again, putting LOGIC into all this stuff (even though you're right). Kill Joys!! ;) Frank

nje, I mentioned in post #2 where you could get a call. Just let me know.

A fawn sounds pretty much the same as a rabbit. The baaaa is just a little longer . But what others said preds do not care. Your not going to do this alone up there are you.?

i got a call from larry jones at jones calls, thanks rimrock. no thumper, i'm not going at it alone, unless i can't find anyone. i already got my bear, going to take my boy out after deer season and give it a try. we have our fair share of bear running around. thanks guys.