Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tommybuilt

Who's eating my flowers

9 posts in this topic

Pam asked me to bring the trail camera up to the house to see who's been eating her flowers. She's ready to kill something, even though she doesn't have a tag, I don't either. Would this be considered Animal Damage Control? I don't know what kind of deal this deer made with our dogs.CDY_0462.jpgCDY_0467.jpg

A little PCV pipe and some electric fence wire and a fence charger keeps them out of my garden. They will eat the plants down to the dirt. After a week or so, you don't even have to plug the fence in anymore. It sure was funny when my son's cat thought she could go s**t in my garden. It zapped her tail and she ran under the wire. Every time she tried to get out she would get shocked and she looked like a pinball in a pinball machine. :D

It's funny you mentioned the electric wire/fencing. We did the same thing to train our dog to leave the rabbits and chickens alone when we first starting raising the livestock. It didn't take long for the dog to make a connection that the animals were off limits! I believe you to be correct in that the deer, after sufferring a few jolts will not bother the flowers in the future (at least the ones in the pots).

It's funny you mentioned the electric wire/fencing. We did the same thing to train our dog to leave the rabbits and chickens alone when we first starting raising the livestock. It didn't take long for the dog to make a connection that the animals were off limits! I believe you to be correct in that the deer, after sufferring a few jolts will not bother the flowers in the future (at least the ones in the pots).
I had one deer get tangled in the wire and he/she pulled up a bunch of my stakes that were connected to the wire getting away. The shock is very strong with shoes on, but one day I kneeled down to pull some weeds and brushed the wire with my hand. I developed a new respect for the charger when the circuit was completed with my kneecap rather than my rubber soled shoes.

Zone D5, opened last saturday. If the wife wants to keep growing flowers, I'll have to look into the electric fence. I know the dog barks at this deer all the time, but the deer doesn't seem to care.

Zone D5, opened last saturday. If the wife wants to keep growing flowers, I'll have to look into the electric fence. I know the dog barks at this deer all the time, but the deer doesn't seem to care.