Camoghost

Best load 22.250?

14 posts in this topic

Hello all, I just started reloading so I have a few questions for you Pro's out there. I'm shooting a Rem 700 Varmint in 22.50. I'm shooting a .40 grain horndy ballistic tip in molly using IMR 4064. What is a safe fast load for this gun? Thank you,

Well, first, do yourself a favor and purchase a reloading manual. I happen to like Nosler's book.Anyway, I do not have a load with the 4064 powder so can't help you on that one.However, my favorite 22-250 load & one I've seen work in several 22-250's is:50gr Nosler Ballistic Tip Bullet36.5 grs RL 15 powder... your charge will likely vary slightlyWin BrassCCI BR 2 large rifle primerO.A.L. = unavailable as I do not want to go out to garage & get it (sorry)Velocity = 3909 fps @ 80 degree tempAccuracy = "5" shot groups "average" 1/4" - 5/8" @ 100 yardsThis load gives the Highest velocity AND Best accuracy I have ever seen in a 22-250... which is what you want in a "hunting" rifle. Other loads may be just as accurate, but won't be as fast in other words.Good LuckFrank

Ask Team .22-250, they should know. I think that's smallblockfuelie and soreloser or Heath and Tim. They'll see this and let you know what works for them.

I just picked up some moly coated 40 grain V-MAX. I have'nt loaded any yet though. What kinda pelt damage do they do? That is the main reason i picked them up. Bryan

Why the moly? Anyway, if you can avoid hitting a bone its pretty minimal. If you can get a full on frontal chest shot and hit center mass you'll almost never have an exit hole.

If you make a good centered shot they should just make a .224 inch hole going in and nothing coming out. The coyote will slosh when you pick it up and will be like jello on the inside.

Isn't that sloshing sound awesome? Anyone who hunts with me has no choice but to listen to it when I get a good shot on one. I hound them until they come to hear!! Good times ....

Isn't that sloshing sound awesome? Anyone who hunts with me has no choice but to listen to it when I get a good shot on one. I hound them until they come to hear!! Good times ....
We're just sick individuals that's all! :D

Heath, just a friendly reminder to be sure & vary the charge a little... May want to start at around 35gr & work up in 1/2gr increments... I've personally seen & heard/read where this load has varied anywhere from approx 35gr to 37.5 in different rifles...which (37.5) is really HOT for that powder & bullet btw.In all honesty it is my very favorite yote slayer. Whether close or far, it hammers them like Thor... (of course I am really enjoying my 204. Would enjoy it more if my friends would let me have a shot). LOLI look forward to hearing your results... good or bad...Frank