Single Six

Long, skinny bullets?

6 posts in this topic

I've been reading about 260 lately. Long, skinny, high BC long range bullets. I was thinking about it today, how long and skinny can you get before you get diminishing returns, or what is the downside? I was thinking about light bullets from my '06 vs the 260 bullets in the same weight. Need to look into the ballistics.

The 260 will shoot the 142 grain SMKs to 1,000 yards. The point of diminishing returns is when the bullet is so heavy that it cannot be started out fast enough to maintain supersonic velocity at your intended range.It's like trying to shoot the 220 grain SMKs out of a 308 Win. You just can't get enough velocity out of it to use the higher BC effectively.

When using longer bullets you can reach a point where the standard factory rifling twist won't stabilize the bullets in flight. This will result in a severe degradation of accuracy.

I got some Berger 130 gr VLD's and reloaded them for my Rem 260. They look pretty cool, long and sleek. I shot a buck in D13 last season with the Barnes 120 gr TTSX in my 260 Rem and it did a great job. The lead free 120 TTSX is pretty long also.

The longer and skinnier the bullet the faster you have to spin it to get it to stabilize properly.