Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mr Del

Finishing a stock.

5 posts in this topic

This is a copy from another forum.DaveG (the stock man) told me what to put on my Boyd stock. I just received this emil from him. "I did an on-line search for Minwax Rub on Poly, as well as a couple of others I have tried- Watco rub on poly, and Waterlox. Every site that I found that carries them has a "not available in California" disclaimer. You may want to ask on the Forum what the California guys are using to put a finish on their stocks, and where they get it." The stock is a laminated gray thumb hole. I was thinking of a clear satin finish. Tanks, Murph.

post-606-1310152421.jpgMy buddy used Brownelles satin custom oil on my 7x57 stock and it came out great. I'd check and see if they make a clear version of it. If not I would probably just use the tinted one. It doesn't have much tint to it. The wood didn't look any darker than it did when I poured water on it to check the grain.

All good info here. I will go to my local store tomorrow and see what they have from the knowledge I have gained here tonight.Tanks all, Murph.