nitis

Pickles 2011

15 posts in this topic

Those pickles look great. Do you grow your own cucumbers? I'm going to guess you purchased them because that's allot of jars at one time. I see a pepper in the jars, so what's your secret recipe.

I could never grow enough! I bought them at slough house.Easy recipe that grandma used except I add the red peppers for a little kick. I usually do the later in the year and throw in some fresh habaneros from my garden.This is round one will be making more in about a month. These are our Christmas gifts.SJ ID YOU WANT I CAN PM U THE RECIPE

lol nice i like the pepper addition .my grandmother made ok pickles but her pickled green beans those were the best ever . were those dill or sweet ?

No, no, no, the dills are the ones that are so nasty! How can anyone eat a hamburger with one of those danged dill pickles on it. Talk about nasty! YUK!

post-3513-1309575282_thumb.jpg
Just looking at those jars makes my mouth water!! I agree, the peppers are a must. I just did my first ever batch last weekend. I only did a dozen pints. My bro-in-law said I should wait a couple of weeks before I open one but I couln't wait. They already tase damn good.Do you soak your cukes first in brine or do you just pour in your recipe and process? Slough House is awesome for produce. I cut their corn off the cob raw and freeze a couple gallons for Thanksgiving.

You may want to consider blanching that corn for a few minutes and then cutting it off the cob. The blanching process stops the process of turning from sugar to starch, which is the process that makes corn taste old. My mother, years ago, would harvest from the garden, hundreds of ears of corn. She always did this with all the corn and froze it. Had lots and lots of corn for the whole family all year long. Man, I still remember that stuff. Thanks for the memory. She died in 1980, so they are old memories.

I don't know what is is about that corn. Maybe the high sugar content. I have done it this way for years and the results are fine. I recently spoke to a home (corn) grower that blanches theirs, but they leave the ears on the stalk until the silk is good and dry and they complain about mixed results. I don't think they wait that long to harvest at Slough House. Maybe the key. I don't know.

If you ever get the chance to get some of the brentwood corn it is unbelievable. Sloughouse is pretty good but the brentwoood stuff is even better the kernals are like double in size making for unreal pop!I am actually trying to grow popcorn inthe garden this year