ratassassin

Got a favorite .30-06 load?

31 posts in this topic

Good advice, Frank. And I appreciate it. That's one heck of a target. Outstanding. I'll probably end up sanding out the barrel channel. There are a few other suspects regarding inaccuracy for this rifle. First is the barrel contact we've talked about. But I also discovered a few weeks ago that my rifle had the dreaded ISS "J-Lock" complete with the oversized firing pin spring that bunches up and makes contact with the interior of the bold carrier, which I discovered after disassembling the bolt. Bought an OEM Remington non-ISS firing pin assembly for $54 from Brownells. It's really nice and comes with a fluted firing pin and a spring that actually fits without bunching up. Installed it in 5 minutes and it works great. Just haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. Hoping the improved consistency in lock time will tighten up my groups. The other issue is the trigger pull weight is still about 4 or 5 lbs, which doesn't help my accuracy. It breaks clean but has a heavy pull. Fine for hunting, though. Just trouble shooting it one thing at a time ... Fun, actually. It'll get there.

My barrel is epoxy bedded as it came from the factory. it is free floated about 1/2 the way back to the reciever then it is bedded.

Thanks, Jeff. Frank, what bedding compound did you use on your 700's, Brownell's Acraglas? Or did you install pillars?

Hey Mike, I just got back from a week in Colorado, & why my (long) delay..Anyway, no pillars installed. Glass bedding only...While I do not do the bedding myself, the place I have it done at uses Brownells AcraGEL. They tell me the Acraglas is too runny along with the Gel setting up better. They add their own color dye to match the color of the stock.Hope this helps and again, sorry for my delayFrank

Thanks, Frank. Good to know. I've worked with Acraglas before to repair a crack in a walnut stock and it is very runny. But the result was great and Acraglas is extremely tough stuff when it dries. Acragel looks like it's much more friendly to deal with for bedding. Who does your bedding? Is there a good shop you can recommend? Maybe I'll have someone do it rather than dink with it. Did you do any hunting in Colorado, maybe put a dent in the prairie dog population?

Mike, I use Bolsa Gunsmithing in Westminister (714-894-9100). If you call them, be sure & speak to Jason (Nash), the owner's nephew & manager (tall Tennessee boy). Do NOT talk or deal with anyone else. Ask for him & be sure he is in when you go there. As with lots of places, one can get different results. However, friends & I have been using them for decades and when it comes to bedding or other RIFLE accuracy work, we have had nothing but excellent results (which our targets show).We had a great trime in Colorado, but unfortunately we did not have time to hunt, spending all our time scouting old & new (deer) hunting areas. I was DYING too as those fat little prairie dogs were laughing & flipping their paws at us. Literally standing on the road or running out in front of us. I had to almost swerve to avoid hitting one of the baxxxxxs. I may("will) be BACK"! LOLGood luck on your project & keep us postedFrank