Brant

Marauder Stock Repl For $54 - With A Gun Show Finish

17 posts in this topic

That's a nice looking stock. How much work did it take to get the mrod to fit in it? Is it lighter than the factory stock.

Not too much work. I bought a round bottom router bit that is 1-1/4" diameter for the air tube groove. I would say I spent 4 hours on it to inlet and then 3 hours to finish and assemble with gun and that is high side. I am not a big woodworking guy.

I met a really nice guy on the Yellow forum that is doing mine as we speak. He is in West Virgin-ia and is doing the work for free. I would like to think it is because I am such a nice guy but it is because I am so handicapped. He does this fore us types, and he has all the right equipment. With any luck it could show sometime next week. I am going to hold off prepping the stock.....because we here in California might have to paint them ORANGE. I will surly cry when I have to do my Daystate Air Wolf.I did get a 4,500 psi air tank today from Fed-Ex. Now I have two 3,000 PSI tanks along with the 4,500 PSI tank. I will fill as much as I can with the scuba tanks and then top off with the 4,500 psi. By just using the 4,500 tank I should get 64 fills by refilling from 2,000 in the gun to 3,000 full. By using the scuba first, the number goes way up. You sure did a beautiful job on your stock. I love it.

Aren't all of the gang members painting their AK-47s orange then?

I may have to get one and give it a try. I'm not good with wood but for $50 what the heck. The stock is my only real gripe about my .25 mrod, other than that I love it. That round bottom router, it that a bit for a drill?

The gun show finish is what speeds it up. It is start to finish literally in less than 3 hours (during a gun show). You use a little bottle of Tru-oil and believe or not plain Armor-all as an accelerant/catalyst. It sounded crazy to me when I first did it 20 years ago but it works well. This stock has 5 coats on it with a ten minute dry time after the accelerant is wiped off a 0000 steel wool inbetween. I stopped there but you can put on more coats without sanding inbetween and use coffee filters to wipe it down each coat and get a thick gloss finish (you don't need to spray it). And you use Tru-oil to seal the wood as well. If you are also crazy enough to try it, test this on some throw away wood before you attempt it on a stock! For me being not a wood person it comes out better sometimes than when I spend weeks doing a hand rubbed Tung oil stock.

Nice looking stock. Good job on the fit and finish.

I may have to get one and give it a try. I'm not good with wood but for $50 what the heck. The stock is my only real gripe about my .25 mrod, other than that I love it. That round bottom router, it that a bit for a drill?
They can be used in a milling machine, router, or drill press and have a 1/2" shift. It is much faster if you can borrow someones milling machine for an hour or two. I think all of the inletting can be done in about 3 hours with a milling machine. A drill press would be a must but the air tube grrove really needs a router table or milling machine.The bits are pretty inexpensive here:http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/The round bottom 1-1/4" bit was about $20.

Aren't all of the gang members painting their AK-47s orange then?
Every week at our gun club we have a trap shoot. There is a CHP that shoots every week. He says that the "gang bangers" already paint the guns with a orange tip so the officers will not shoot first. This gives the G/B's enough time to aim and fire first. No wonder minor kids get shot.

They can be used in a milling machine, router, or drill press and have a 1/2" shift. It is much faster if you can borrow someones milling machine for an hour or two. I think all of the inletting can be done in about 3 hours with a milling machine. A drill press would be a must but the air tube grrove really needs a router table or milling machine.The bits are pretty inexpensive here:http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/The round bottom 1-1/4" bit was about $20.
I don't know anyone with a router. Probably take for ever, but you think you could do it with a dremel, chisels and sanding paper?

Well the challenge is going to be the long airtube groove that must be perfectly straight.

Thanks for the info - just ordered one. Already have the router and bit for a Disco stock project, guess I should think about building a nice router table now...

I cheated and borrowed a friends Milwaukee milling machine.

I added two more coats of just Tru-Oil and then polished with Turtle wax polish (green container) for a high-gloss finish.stock3web.jpg