Desert Fox

Got the big girl ready for tomorrow's match

32 posts in this topic

Went to the range this afternoon to chronograph and zeroed the 338 for tomorrow's 1K competition. These new batch of reloads average around 2856 fps. Fired three shot at the target 525 yards away to verify my zero. The big girl was spot on. I hope the weather cooperate. Two successive matches were cancelled last time due to bad weather. The forecast is very good for tomorrow.Here's the 3 shot group at 525 yards.DSC01540.jpgDSC01539.jpg

I can't even SEE 500 yards away, much less hit it :good: Nice looking rifle... Good Luck in your matchFrank

You can't ask for a better day today. The temperature hovers around 70 degrees in the morning and the wind at steady 2 to 3 mph and occasionally gust to 5-6 MPH. It did got a bit hot in the afternoon but not by much. The match director changed the format of the match a bit. The first 5 shot was fired and are recorded for group. The smallest group wins a prize. You have 6 minutes to do these. The next 20 shot was fired successively with no line break. You were given 20 minutes to fire a total of 20 rounds.Man, the 338 gave me a sore shoulder. Between sight in shot and the recorded shot, I fired a total of 33 rounds. By the 25th round, I dreaded pulling the trigger. The kick was becoming unbearable. I'm surprised that I did so well. Although no podium finished this time, I was still close to the top. The first and second both scored 246 with 9 and 8 X respectively. The third place had a score of 245 with 4 X. I however scored 243 with 13 X. As a matter of fact, I believed I had the most X today. I'll find out when the score is publish. The smallest 5 shot group was 8 and 3/8". Mine measured 13 and 3/4". Overall though, I was please with the result of my shooting today.Here's the picture from the match.DSC01542.jpgDSC01548.jpgDSC01547.jpgDSC01546.jpgDSC01543.jpgDSC01545.jpgHere's my score sheet.DSC01549.jpgDSC01550.jpg

At the Desert Marksman, Palmdale, CAThere's a total of 50 shooters, 10 in each group. There's two classes. 308 class which cover all non-magnum cartridges. The other is magnum class and that covers all magnum calibers including the 50BMG. The 338 dominated the match today. None of the 50 made it to the top.

Thats amazing. I got to shoot at 1300 yds awhile ago and I have a new respect for those distances. Nice job and nice equipment DF.

Thanks Jeremy.Yeah, tough shooting 1K. It's fun though. Just imagine placing your shot at the X ring. That's only 10" in diameter. I was just lucky that I was able to put 50% of my shot inside it lol.

Great pics and hardware Desert fox, and congratulations on your score. 1.375 MOA at 1000 yards is an amazing result.

Thanks Oz, It's tough to score the first 5 shot for groups since it is factored into the final score. A fellow competitor Matt Shafter, who was my scorer, is a long time competitor and was originally from Australia. He approached me after the match and introduced himself. He commended my shooting ability and I was humbled by it.

Shots 1,2 and 3 were where they were supposed to be. That first shot is the one that counts. I think a .338 would make me a little jumpy after a few shots. Again real nice shooting.

Shot 1, 2 and 3 landed in the X ring hence the X was scored in the score sheet. The X counts for 10 points, the same score as in the 10 ring. The X is the tie breaker in case both shooter have the same total points. The aim is to hit the X ring for the highest possible score. We shoot a total of 25 rounds for a possible highest score of 250 - 25X. The first 5 shot was scored for group. The smallest group wins a prize.

Nice job Rommel! It was great getting to meet you a couple of weeks ago as well. Glad to hear that you did so well.Darren

So whats the prize?
A gift certificate from Peerles Rifle company.

Nice job Rommel! It was great getting to meet you a couple of weeks ago as well. Glad to hear that you did so well.Darren
Hey Thanks Darren. Nice to met you as well.

:signs1180lq: The distance would eliminate me...not the 338 abuse.Terrific shots and interesting commentary.

Rob, with the right equipment, anyone can do it. You will be surprise how many newbie won on their first time. Case in point, a 13 year old girl, shooting a 308, in only her 2nd time competing, won third place with a score of 245. Go figure!

You can do it, the right equipment, and the right training. Rommel - Did Dennis' explanation of calling the wind help you at all in that match?Darren

That's amazing shooting, Desert Fox. Congratulations. I forget. Does your .338 have a muzzle brake to help tame the recoil?

Rat, the muzzlebrake in my rifle is not very efficient in taming the recoil. It was design more for hunting. Slinging those 300 grainer around calls for a more efficient brake design.

You can do it, the right equipment, and the right training. Rommel - Did Dennis' explanation of calling the wind help you at all in that match?Darren
Yes! it did help me quite a bit. As a matter of fact, I'd adopted the shooting stance that Dennis recommended, and it made a big difference.Tell Dennis thank you for me.