Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BullsEye

Shovel Nose Guitar Fish for Dinner

8 posts in this topic

I have always heard that they are tasty so I figured I would try them out. I pulled two large fillets off of a medium size fish and froze them for later. I then defrosted the meat with water and some vinegar and when soft I cut the fillets into chunks. I made it real simple olive oil, salt, oregano and a little lemon. Had some tomato and cucumber salad and voila! Tasted really good. Will have to try it again sometime.DSCN2847.jpg

Looks good. But I really wanted to see a picture of the fish. Now I am going to have to do a search to see what one looks like. Thanks for continuing my education. Never even heard of one of those before.LOL I went and searched. I have caught one of those before in the bay. I catch stuff all most every time I go there that I do not know what it is called. I guess it is all about where you grow up and where you fish the most. Learn something new every day. LOL I turn a lot of fish loose because I do not know what they are down there.

Hey Bennie,Here was the guest of honor prior to being all dressed up. With some friends of course. :signs165xk:DSCN2802.jpg

They're are great eating. Whenever I happen by a good sized one spearfishing, I'll take it home for dinner. We caught a huge one years ago off a research boat. The captain BBQ'd the shark and a large white sea bass on the grill. At the end of dinner half of the white sea bass was still sitting there and the guitar fish was gone.

and here I thought they were called shovel nose sharks

Rhinobatus productus...the shovel nose guitar fish.Ed, I'd put it on a plate and hand it to you and you'd be asking for seconds after you tasted it.

I tried it a few years ago and it was better than i thought it would be. Grilled it like a halibut fillet and it was pretty alright. congrats and good eatin.