Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mackeralboy

My first wheel gun

19 posts in this topic

Just picked up my first wheel gun that I bought off of ECVMatt. It's a .44 Mag stainless steel Ruger Redhawk with a 4 inch barrel. Thanks Matt for giving me such a good deal. Can't wait to put a few rounds through it.post-3-1305753729.jpg

Well, if its your first one I feel sorry for you. You will be spending a lot of money in the near future buying more. I absolutely love revolvers. I have a few semi's but the revolver is just the way to go. So much fun! consider getting involved in ICORE. You can shoot the 44 special and won't have much recoil to deal with.

Nice purchase! The 44mag in a double action is my favorite handgun. I'm sure you will love that gun.

Yes Congrats! I am a wheel gun guy too. Nothing better in my books. I do own a couple of auto's, but the 44 629 is my favorite. I have three of them in different barrel length's.

Congrats on your very fine purchase... It will serve you wellI'm also another wheel gun person, & have actually sold all my autos years ago & never looked back. Mine are in 22/22 mag, 357 & 44 mag which is also a 629 classic. Thinking about adding a .45 L.C. & another 44 mag lately. We'll see? :signs165xk: Frank

Another revolver fan here. Very nice gun. Wish I'd kept the one I had years ago.

Hmmmm... is there a common denominator here? Called "Old Age"! (over 40 + crowd); mostly + Just Wondering :signs165xk: Frank

Hmmmm... is there a common denominator here? Called "Old Age"! (over 40 + crowd); mostly + Just Wondering :smiley-funny-post-sign: Frank
Hey Frank, I resemble that remark !!Frank

Very cool. I have lately developed .44 sickness and am now shopping...and I'm almost to my 30th Bday. Kinda wish I'd skipped .357 and got straight to .44 but I reckon I'll keep it around. Be sure to post up some pics of you double action rapid-fire groups.

OK So I finally got a chance to get to the local indoor range and fire some rounds though my Ruger Redhawk. Initially the sights were off and it was shooting about a foot low and about 8 inches to the right at 10 yards. After some minor adjusting of the rear sight I got it dialed in pretty good for 10 yards. Here's the last two rounds of 6 that I put through it this evening. All in all I'm pretty stoked. I thought the short barrel on a .44mag might make it a bit of a handful but it wasn't bad at all.post-2472-1306202248_thumb.jpg

Is that the "Backpacker"? If so I held that gun at a shop recently and I was really impressed, very nice gun.

I haven't heard it refered to as the Backpacker, but I have heard that it is a favorite sidearm amongst guides in Alaska. From what I've been told they often carry them in chest holster for quick and easy access.

My bad, you said it was a 4" barrel, the Backpacker has a 2-1/2" barrel. I plan on getting the same gun you have or the S&W 629 which looks exactly the same.Have you shot any full magnum loads in it? From what I understand a grizzly load is 300 gr JSP?

Hmmmm... is there a common denominator here? Called "Old Age"! (over 40 + crowd); mostly + Just Wondering :signs1242cn: Frank
I'm 26 and I prefer revolvers over semi autos. I have a S&W 63 in .22lr and a 66-2 which is currently going to s&w to be retimed.

Hmmmm... is there a common denominator here? Called "Old Age"! (over 40 + crowd); mostly + Just Wondering :smiley_green_with_envy: Frank
Frank : I think there is a flaw in that theory . Granted I am now 40 but I have been a wheel gun fan since I can remember , that would 10 or so due to a head injury . . But I grew up in time when revolvers were " art " that was shootable too . they had craftsmanship to them too . They always work ( kinda have to go out of your wy to make them not work ). Faster than a semi ( look at the total distance traveled when firing from rd to rd . Also Bob Mundan(?) used one when he shows off speed shooting . He timed S&W against a 1911 w/ 6 rds ) Almost " idiot " proof . they are empty or loaded . No " I forgot to empty the chamber " accident . LOOOOVES me revolvers Mackeralboy : let me know if you wanna trade it out ; ) or sell it . I know a few people that have the 4" in 44 on their list . them stinking 5.5s show up everywhere or they are in 454 . Andy

Well, I'm over 40 and do have a few revolvers. In keeping with the 44 Mag topic here I'll just show my unfast draw 44 S&W 29. This version of the Model 29 was from the mid '80s.

post-16-1307281383_thumb.jpg

The cartridges are loaded with the 250 gr Sierra Silhouette (now known as Tounament Master) bullet. The barrel length is 10 5/8". That funny looking front sight has four adjustment screws so it can be adjusted for the 50, 100, 150 & 200 meter target lines that IHMSA matches are shot at.Currently I only have one 44 mag revolver in my accumulation. Guess I need to work on that. :smiley_green_with_envy: