Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BullsEye

Fishing off the rocks in Long Beach

17 posts in this topic

I decided to go out and fish off the rocks for rock fish or whatever might bite. I started with a 3 inch Big Hammer in Sexy smelt for Nada so I switched to a Bay smelt since it was partially white.(I like white and glow in the dark plastics at night) I managed to catch this little guy, hes about as big as the swimbait.

DSCN2838.jpg

I then switched over to a 3 inch Kalin glow grub on a jig head with weed guards and caught my first sand bass. These guys are scrappy fighters.

DSCN2840.jpg

DSCN2841.jpg

They went back to the drink and then a few casts later I had something a lot larger start peeling drag until it found a nook in the rocks and I couldn't get it out. I baited up again but things slowed down. I then started to see some fish on the surface so I tried a Kastmaster for a while but no takers. I didn't realize they closed the parking at 11pm so the local PD kindly asked me to leave and gave me some pointers on where I might try to find some more fish at this time of night. I decided to head out as I wasn't planning on being out so late but when your fishing time starts to warp and you loose track.

Looks like fun. You mentioned you could see the fish on the surface, seems like the water is clear enough to bowfish there? Were you using a light? I have been wanting to find a place I could bowfish other than Lake Elsinore or Big Bear for Carp.

Hey Dave the fish that I saw where jumping on the surface. I assumed they where running from a predator or hunting something smaller. I didn't really see anything cruising by but I have heard of guys hunting rays and sharks with there bows in Malibu. You might check into that. I usually have a small headlamp on just so I can see where I am boulder hopping and to recharge my glow in the dark plastic baits.

Cool thanks, I'll check it out. I've looked around here at Redondo, but the water isnt clear enough usually and too much surf.

That's fun fishing when you don't know what is going to be taking the bait, or lure in this case. :)

Absolutely John. Every time I have a big one break me off or spool me it makes me want to go out even more. You just never know whats lurking in the water. Once in Avila bay a buddy of mine and I were fishing off the pier and it was a strange night, just too quiet. We later found out we where not the only ones there. Apparently a great white was cruising the bay around the pier and was on the news that evening. It made the hair on our necks stand up.

When I fish in the ocean or bay, I am so stupid this country boy don't even know what the fish are called that he catches most of the time. Still enjoy it though.

I don't know the names of a ton of fish but it sure is a lot of fun to catch them. :signs165xk: There are many different places with many different fish. I caught some fish when I was in Costa Rica and didn't take pictures. I wish I had this was almost 5 years ago and I just recently learned what they are called. These where fun on 6 pound line with a kastmaster.Its called a Gaftop Sail Paompanohttp://www.oceanfootage.com/video_clips/PS06_146http://www.mexfish.com/mfn/mfn2007/mfn070416/reeves2.jpg

Now you found one that I have never seen before. Not sure I can read it's name right, much less pronounce it. Looks like it would be a good fighter with those big fins.

Those are awesome to see swim by in a school of 50 to 100 down in Baja. I think they are one of the most interesting fish to see in a school.

You might want to try looking at the DFG Finfish and Shellfish ID book. I just got one myself andits got tons of fish in it, all well drawn with half a page describing them, just look in the Fishing section on DFGs website. Its Free too.

The top fish (silvery) is a queenfish and is a member of the croakier family.

It's always fun slinging artificial lures off the rock...you never know what's going to strike.

The bay fish & harbor fish are full of heavy metal, Catch Picture & release CPR works. On the way home buy a burger & frys and that will be a compliment to a great night out. I would be into fishing the bays for big rays at night (with CPR)they are big and pull hard, fun stuff.

jg / Bill

That is a gass.

I remember when I was a kid, my father took me fishing

on a rock jetty, I think Balboa.

The water was clear, and we watched the fish.

Good memories with dad.

Tom

I dont eat anything out of there. But its a fun little spot at times when it isn't too crowded. Honestly I've been slinging steel more often then I have been angling.