mtn dog

Need suggestions on most reliable trucks or SUV

83 posts in this topic

MTN DOG, You mentioned family comfort, I drive a 2004 Silverado, It is one of the most comfortable trucks that I have ever driven. It is a 4x4, with a very long wheel base.I was worried about high centering with the long W/B. but I have never had a problem with that. My Mileage flat out sucks (10mpg) but she will tow a house if you put wheels on it. I have the six leader engine, hence the lousy mileage. Also keep in mind that the general motors 4x4's 2000 and up have a problem with the transfer case, the oil pump (transfer case) rubs on the casing, and wears a hole in the case, and all your oil leaks out. My mechanic says thatproblemairly common problen.Other than that I love the truck.Tom

post-1554-1325870494.jpg

An Avalanche would be good for the reasons mentioned *IF* one ripped out the sorry independent front suspension in favor of a solid axle. Especially if you're gonna run bigger tires. That top one makes me laugh...
My 5'2" wife and 4'8" son would kill me if I bought a jacked-up rig like that... and I'd deserve it. I'm all about a vehicle for the whole family, not a boy's toy.

My Mileage flat out sucks (10mpg) but she will tow a house if you put wheels on it.
We pull 13+mpg easily with a 35' fifth wheel and only one mod (a $500 Bullydog program) in our 2004 Cummins (4 door 3/4 ton), and 22 empty . Plus, no transfer case problems. Like I said, we're a diesel oriented family (work and home), and put a lot of research into it before buying. Heck, even if it only lasted two years, we could afford to buy a new one with the money saved on fuel every year alone :blink:
My 5'2" wife and 4'8" son would kill me if I bought a jacked-up rig like that... and I'd deserve it. I'm all about a vehicle for the whole family, not a boy's toy.
I was thinking as I read this, man, he must have missed the post where you stated it was going to be a "family" vehicle :o

I guess I have to throw in my $.02. Don't buy a Chevy if you want to use it as a truck (I mean off road or for work). If you spend all your time on pavement they are ok and comfortable. The allison transmission isnt all its cracked up to be either so i wouldnt count that as reason to buy a DuraCrack diesel. Dodge trucks have gotten better but I agree with the earlier comments that they aren't very comfortable. Dodge diesels have tranny problems and the non cummins parts break and are expensive (injector pumps, electronics). It sounds like you don't really need anything more than a good 1/2 ton and there is no better than the F150. If you want a little smaller truck the double cab Toyota Tacoma with the 4.0 v6 is great though the mileage isn't that much of an improvement over a newer F150. Good luck with your selection.

You don't want to take those pretty lifted trucks hunting they will just end up scratched.I did that to my 2007 gmc at crooker ridge in d-6 i will never go threw those brushy trails again next time i will tow my 91yj up there.It only has a 2.5 but that's all i need while hunting..........those 258 engines has to be the most dependable engines out there is it possible to blow them up?We had a 75 postal carrier on the farm years ago and i would get that thing stuck and just lay into the throttle it was 2 wheel drive.That engine never broke.The carb gave me problems and had tranny probs but the 258 just kept on ticking.

Ceng let me tell you something my dad still has the first model duramax diesel that came out I think it's a 2002 model we use that thing on the dairy all the time pull our loaded 25 foot cow trailer loaded with our culled holsteins to the sale every Tuesday and that thing still runs great.

HOLY CXXP, this thread is like the energizer bunny... YIKES!So, Ken, did you ever decide or buy anything? I ain't about to read this whole thing. LOL

Last week I finally bought a new truck, which is a 2012 Toyota Tundra, double cab, 4x4 TRD, Off Road model. I was looking at their Rock Warrior, but liked this one better. Wheels, chrome bumpers(instead of painted) etc is only difference. AWESOME would be a GROSS understatement.

I've owned them all over the years, some more than once, & all but one were 4x4's; Chevy, Dodge, Ford, Jeep & now Toyota (again actually). IMO, NONE of the others have anything over this truck. Just look at the under carriage and one will see the difference. The ball joints alone belong on a tank (sorta), and rides (almost) like a luxury car.

I also bloodied it two days ago with a coyote I killed. Maybe, or maybe not, there may be a reason why JD Powers rated the Tundra the most reliable... 6 yrs in a row! And Consumer Reports did too, I believe for 2011???

Frank

p.s. It got 16.5 mpg on the hwy. 5.7 motor

im my opinion from hunting and reliablity is toyota tacoma. easy to maintain and cheap to repair gas will not be a problem. i am looking for a tacoma myself 4x4 v6