mtn dog

Need suggestions on most reliable trucks or SUV

83 posts in this topic

If your not going to be towing a lot we LOVE our 1/2 ton Chevy crew cabs. I actually liked the 03 better than the 08, but it is a great pickup as well.
That's funny you mention that. I have a 99 Z71 and my chick has an 05 Z71. Other than hers being A LOT cleaner than mine, mine seems like it is just a better truck. Better power, Better mileage, Better trans (I had it built), Better feel in the steering.

I can't find much if anything bad to say about toyota.
Put a huge fifth wheel trailer behind a Toyota and I'm sure you will come up with a few new words not in the English or slang dictionary!!! You are trying to compare mice (gas powered pickups, ie Toyota) to elephants (diesel powered tucks). I would love to see a "Toy"ota wth a fifth wheel (or LARGE trailer) behind it :sport037fn4:. Especially repeatedly. If you look a little closer, most everybody is happy with all the Big Three gas powered trucks they own.I know I hit a sore spot CH, but 16mpg with an long bed extended cab 4x4 around town is what I pull with a gas motor at almost $1 dollar less per gallon. It is also only 2-3 more mpg than we get pulling a 35 foot fifth wheel. Not what one would expect out of a diesel. Please understand, I am not saying it WON'T do it, just said it doesn't do it nearly as efficiently. Huge difference. And milage is a key factor for buying a diesel, especially these days at $5 a gallon! I also never said they don't last. The Powerstroke may outlive every diesel out there, but it will continually pull worse milage during it's longer life. Sorry, it's just the way it is. Every Ford diesel owner I know will admit it too. I was simply relaying knowledge. That was what was asked for. Didn't mean to step on anybody's toes (I believe I said I already knew this would happen in my first post). :) Hate the facts, not the poster :popcorn: .

Who ever did the work on your 3.0VZ engine did not do a good job. I have the same engine on my '94 T100, and the gasket gave up after 90K mile. Crown Toyota sent a tow truck and replace the head gasket. That was 13 years ago. My truck now has 370,000 miles and still averaging 22 miles/gallon... and yes, I hunt with it. honeyhole020.jpgTarget005.jpgTarget006.jpgI just bought a used '95 Toyota 4 Runner 4X4 with similar engine, and yes the 3.0 VZ gave up it's ghost at around 90K also. It has already 12 K on the newly reworked engine and it runs pretty good. The previous owner took good care of the car that it's in very pristine condition. I only paid $5200 for it and comes with Belstein shock, BF Goodrich TA, Magnaflow muffler, raised rear spring and an Alpine Stereo. If you want diesel power then look no farther than Duramax/Allison. Picture017.jpg

Put a huge fifth wheel trailer behind a Toyota and I'm sure you will come up with a few new words not in the English or slang dictionary!!! You are trying to compare mice (gas powered pickups, ie Toyota) to elephants (diesel powered tucks). I would love to see a "Toy"ota wth a fifth wheel (or LARGE trailer) behind it :roflmao3[1]:. Especially repeatedly. If you look a little closer, most everybody is happy with all the Big Three gas powered trucks they own.I know I hit a sore spot CH, but 16mpg with an long bed extended cab 4x4 around town is what I pull with a gas motor at almost $1 dollar less per gallon. It is also only 2-3 more mpg than we get pulling a 35 foot fifth wheel. Not what one would expect out of a diesel. Please understand, I am not saying it WON'T do it, just said it doesn't do it nearly as efficiently. Huge difference. And milage is a key factor for buying a diesel, especially these days at $5 a gallon! I also never said they don't last. The Powerstroke may outlive every diesel out there, but it will continually pull worse milage during it's longer life. Sorry, it's just the way it is. Every Ford diesel owner I know will admit it too. I was simply relaying knowledge. That was what was asked for. Didn't mean to step on anybody's toes (I believe I said I already knew this would happen in my first post). :smiley-sorry: Hate the facts, not the poster :unsure: .
I'm not comparing mice to elephants, and besides, the newer Tacomas are almost as big as a 1/2 ton. I mentioned previously that yotas were great, "just not the for big stuff". He's talking about towing a tent trailer. I fully understand the difference between a horse and an ox. I have everything between a 4cyl ranger and an F-700. As far as having anything bad to say about Toyota, I was referring to quality. My daily driver is a manual trans diesel Dodge and since it's been down, an F250. I love the Dodge, Ford is OK, but my wife's 4runner is the most pleasant thing to drive. Quick, quiet, light, comfortable, easy to drive, and affordable.

I have no use for fullsize gas trucks except offroad toys. if you're going to get something that big, just get a diesel and get better mileage, more room (in the case of Ford) longevity, and be able to tow anything.

Better buy a used diesel unless you want the added expense and hassle of urea injection on the 2011's. Just more governmental BS about pollution control. As if diesel isn't expensive enough.

Then there's a talk of smogging 98 and up. I'll keep my nice basic no computers 95, thanks.

If your towing a lot can see buying a diesel, but for occasional light towing (ie tent trailer) I'd think a gas rig would be better. The mileage is no better on a diesel one ton, vs a gas 1/2 ton. And the 1/2 T is availible in a short box, easier to park in town, etc. I've got both, and unless I need to tow or haul something big, I'd rather take the gas 1/2 ton on a trip or into town.

I agree. I have a 2006 F150 SuperCrew 4x4, cuz I need it. I had 5 Toyota trucks over a 20 year period, and I was tired of riding in a wheelbarrow. I'm older now and wanna be comfortable. After driving all the different trucks, I decided on the Ford. I was raised a Chevy guy, but, gotta go with what's right for you. I needed 4x4 (live in the mtns.), don't haul alot, but heck, even a 1/2 ton will haul a decent size trailer, mine's rated at 9800lbs. The selling point for me was the comfort, and after adding the Magnaflow exhaust, K&N intake, and Edge Evolution programmer, I get 23-24 on the freeways in the valley. Up here, about 19. Not bad, considering small trucks are maybe getting 20mpg. My .02 Good luck with your decision.

... and after adding the Magnaflow exhaust, K&N intake, and Edge Evolution programmer, I get 23-24 on the freeways in the valley. Up here, about 19. Not bad, considering small trucks are maybe getting 20mpg. My .02 Good luck with your decision.
That's impressive.This thread has been tremendously useful. My thanks to everyone.

i have a 2wheel drive nissan frontier 4 door with the 4.0 v6 great truck ok gas mileage my family of 4 with a large dog ie 130 lbs fits in it rather nice have decent payload and towing an gets around 20 when i keep my foot out of it the 4wheel drive version is quite nice buddy has one nissans run forever chaper than a yota and not quite as big as a 150 or 1500 good luck

Have you considered a Landcruiser, although I don't know what engine options you guys have over there?

I'm considering everything at this point. That's why I posted the question. Do you drive one? What's your opinion?

Jim, I saw one of those Ford Raptors at the dealer on my lunch break today! Man what a truck till I saw the sticker on the window and almost lost my lunch....$48g's loaded and that's without tax, prep and licensing fees! Yikes!!!

A friend/employee has one. It's expensive, but it works. Way out of my price range.

Jim, I saw one of those Ford Raptors at the dealer on my lunch break today! Man what a truck till I saw the sticker on the window and almost lost my lunch....$48g's loaded and that's without tax, prep and licensing fees! Yikes!!!
48K?...for the new 6.2 liter? They usually start at 60K or what ever high bidder wants to give them. I doubt I'd get much hunting done out of one of those.As for the original question: I've had two trucks that were great for hunting. First one was my old 85 toyota 4x4. I put 150k on that truck with hardly a problem. Second one was a 89 Izusu Trooper 4x4. Cool little rig to hunt from, got great mileage and would go most anywhere. Plus you could sleep in it and stay dry. Also you can buy them cheap. It was pretty gutless power wise but it was a great weekend hunting rig.

If you have to make a payment, it isn't a hunting rig. Get a truck or SUV that works for what you want. Keep the cost down and don't try to do it all with one vehicle. As far as longevity goes, I have my own conclusions. The Toyotas are fine until they break, then they cost an arm and a leg. I will never own another dodge or jeep again.......EVER! Chevy/GMC seem to hold up pretty good. Obviously, I'm a Ford guy. The diesels are marginal IMO, the V10 is a pig, but the 5.4 triton is hard to beat for what I use it for. I KILL trucks, motorcycles, cars, guns, callers, clothes, etc, etc. I don't make assumptions by reading about products. I buy them and beat the crap out of them. My hunting rig has seen many, many miles. Towing, commuting, cross country traveling, hunting, riding, working, and offroading have all been done, and will continue to be done. It has 245K and I get about 14/19 MPG's. It's not pretty, but it's not hideous either. This is my third 4x4 F250 that will go well over 300K with minor fixes. It burns oil, it's big, it's heavy, but it does what I need it to do. Can you hunt for a week out of your rig and never need to do anything but stop for fuel and a few meals?

Well, mtn dog, yesterday I test drove my next new truck. It will be the 4x4 Toyota Tundra, double cab (xtra half cab), 5.7ltr V8, TRD, Rock Warrior in magnetic gray color with 6 1/2' bed. Has 6 speed auto trans & the beefy suspension (& drive) is incredible. AWESOME, is an understatement!Tundra's extra half cab has more room than my dodge ram 4x4. I was orignally thinking I needed a FULL size (crewmax) 4 door tundra because of my dodge's lack of room in the back seat, but the Tundra's half cab is more roomy than my dodge. A life long friend of mine has the exact same tundra truck, only a 2010 with black paint. I honestly had not intended on one like his, but after a bit of looking, have changed my mind. I have owned (2) Chevys, a Toyota Land Cruiser, a Jeep, a Ford & my current 2000 Dodge Ram, all 4x4's, and none have impressed me like this Tundra. Not even close! BTW, I will NEVER own another Dodge. It's on its 4th transmission at 155,000 miles. my :good: Frank

Dodge autos are poo, except maybe the newer ones, I don't have exp with them. If you want a big truck-like truck, get a dodge with a Cummins and manual.

Yeah, Six, the newer Dodge's trannys may be just fine, along with their diesel motors... but not on my dime anymore! LOLCorrection: I stated "road"warrior above, but meant ROCK Warrior... I'll try & fix that now.Frank

Good thing I still don't have the $$$ to buy my dream vehicle. The longer I wait and read this thread, the more I learn. Thanks, guys, for keeping the discussion going.