Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nje

13 lb largemouth

8 posts in this topic

caught this on thursday at don pedro. do not know how accurate the scale at the bait barn was but it read 13 lbs 1 ounc015-1.jpge.

How about the "rest of the story." The how and what? Us people who can't fish want to know. That is a great catch. My biggest was a 11 .4 oz on topwater at Vail Lake when I was a guide out of San Diego. Murph.

i went with a friend of mine i haven't seen in awhile. i have only fished for bass a handfull of times and wanted to go out and get a few 1 to 1 1/2 pounders to add to a gumbo. i caught a few keepers and one that probably went around 5-6 lbs on rubber worms. at the time the 5 pounder was the largest bass i had ever caught and i was pretty excited. around 2:30 we went a fished this large cove with many small coves in it. my friend was in the front controling the trolling motor so i was working everything behind him. i noticed as we were moving along he skipped a very small cove and i thought to myself "why did he do that?". my first cast into this cove, i felt a couple taps and then a little resistance and then i set the hook. the fish swam towards me and at the time it felt like the average 12-14" fish we were catching and then it dove and thats when i relized this was a good fish. when it came to the surface i about @$%^ my pants. i was using 6lb test line so i was a little nervous so i took it very easy on this fish. it dove and surfaced a few times and after a few minutes(felt like 1/2 an hour) it tired out. i was using a watermelon with black flake senko. thats my 4 year old in the picture, she loves to fish and has a couple of her own on the wall.

That truly is a very nice fish, but the best part of that whole story/pic is that you include your daughter and she enjoys doing it. Congrats to you both as a fisherman and as a father. Nice job on both accounts.

That fish swimming towards you is the sign of a large fish. They always seem to head for deep water when first hooked. You did a great job handling that size of fish on 6 pound test line. That also means your line and pole are a good match.Thanks for the what and how. Now you also have the pictures. Good man.