Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BullsEye

Santa Monica beach

14 posts in this topic

I showed up this morning at 7:30am and first cast out with some gulp produced a small little perch. DSCN2788.jpgSecond cast out the rod taco's over and the reel starts screaming! I fought this thing for about 45 minutes on my 10lb setup. I imagine it was some sort of ray as there where no head shakes just line going out like I was tied to a freight train. I almost got spooled twice and then I tired it out enough to get it to the shore but the line snapped jut prior to seeing my leader. Oh well next time. It was a great battle that took me up and down the beach.I rig up the pole again and catch a few more perch then I get a tough little bugger on and pull this guy in.DSCN2789.jpgSomeone was walking by and offered to take a picture of me with the fish(Thank you if your reading this post).DSCN2790.jpgI continued looking for some structure down the beach and ended up in a lot of kelp so I decided to go back in the opposite direction when I tail hooked my first shovel nose guitar fish.DSCN2793.jpgI started back on the quest for some reel screamers and landed a bunch of dink perch. This guy was the largest of the day at 10.5 inches.DSCN2794.jpgIts nice to have the toes in the sand and a consistent but slower bite then Monday.

Nice. That's the way to spend the day. I'm waiting for my new speargun to arrive and then I'll be out looking for the flatties.

Looks like a super day. I hear those surf perch are very good eating. Am I right?Murph.Why do gas trucks have to stop for gas?

The perch taste great! I actually kept a Walleye and a Barred Surf Perch from an outing on Sunday and fried them up. Clean the fillets coat lightly in Mayo then bread and fry them. Add some lemon and your good to go.So why do gas trucks have to stop for gas?

I love perch! I am actually going to eat some tonight for dinner! Thanks for the mayo idea Bulls Eye!

Mayo works great on fish fillets. Do you make your own mayo? We do because with 20+ fresh eggs a day you need to find something to do with them. :rolleyes:

JohnI haven't mastered making Mayo yet. But I'm more then will to take some of those fresh eggs off your hands lolBear:I use Mayo instead of egg and milk on anything I bread. It keeps everything moist and the breading sticks better too.

Nice fish Alex . If you need someone to just take pics for you I will tag along if you drive there & back :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: besides I am just down the freeway Always wanted to surf fish but never really got into it . tried down in the Torrance beach area . Just lots of Kelp & Trash . Andy

Sure I was going to go yesterday and today but I got the worst sun burn I had to cancel my annual Easter Bunny hunt. I'm hoping my skin is in better shape for next weekend. I haven't fished in Torrance although I have heard some good things about the area. If you have a pole and a license just rig up a carolina rig with some berkley gulp sandworms or a motor oil red flake grub. The perch are biting like crazy some guys are pulling in some 17 inch pregnant perch. I haven't landed anything like that take yet but its always fun trying. I'm hoping to get into some of the local shark action too on my light tackle setup. Something about fighting big fish on light line and hearing the drag scream gets my heart pumping.

You can get Leopard sharks down in the " South Bay ( not Frisco nut Hermosa to Torrance ) . What stick are you using ? What I want is something that is long ( 7+ ) with a great tip . now that I typed that it sounds dirty .But I fish Stripers off Castaic Dam and with my 6-6 1/2 ' s I can only get it out there so far . I also like 1 piece as oppossed to the 2 piece surf rods I see out there , from 9-12 ' . Andy

More nice fish Alex. :doh[1]: You're making it look too easy. Watch that sunburn or you'll end up with at the dermatologist like me for never wearing sunscreen.