Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jay61cal

Range results .308

32 posts in this topic

I've read in a few places that the GMX bullets need to be traveling at least 2000 feet per second at point of impact to expand properly. The gilding metal Hornady is using is a bit harder than the copper Barnes uses. While I'm not a big fan of Barnes, I think that for .308 a Barnes bullet will probably expand better at typical .308 speeds. Guys on the forums are saying the GMX bullets are better for faster calibers like .300 Win Mag. I loaded 150 grain GMX for my Howa .308 and didn't get sub-MOA accuracy. I'll play around some more with the ones I have left and if I can't get them to shoot, I'll probably go try the Barnes plastic tipped ones next.
300 win mag is my primary so that would make sense why I like them lol

you make a good point
Yeah, Jay, I hate it when folks start inputting LOGIC into this stuff. LOL BUT, is what I was referring to with the first line on my original post above. This non-lead handloading can definitely make a sane man cry. I mean, look at Red. LOL Just kidding, Red, as I am in the same boat. Being forced to use this stuff is not only criminal, but expensive & time consuming as you say. :lol: Sometimes going up or down a half grain of powder can also eliminate flyers. Sometimes! Could be anything of course!Good LuckFrank

The only comfort is knowing that if they are set free without a cadre of humans to feed and care for them, they'll eat foreign objects and die from stupidity. If the tree huggers find french fries in the dead bird's stomachs, we'll have new legislation to ban french fries. That'll really pi$$ me off.

Haven't had a chance to play with Hornady GMX yet but Barnes bullet is plenty accurate. Barnes now labeling their bullet match grade accuracy. I agree! Here's a few sample groups. Picture523.jpgFranksrifle001.jpgFranksrifle002.jpgPicture002-3.jpgFFL003.jpgrangework003.jpg

Great results. What's the secret? With the Barnes TSX hollow points in my .223 Remington, I would get 4 out of 5 to shoot sub-MOA, but often one of the 5 would be a flyer. Have you noticed any difference in accuracy with Barnes' plastic tipped bullets over hollow point TSX? I've read that the plastic tipped ones can be more accurate but haven't tested this yet. I've got some on the way to try out with my .308.

No secret. Just be meticulous with your reloading process. As to which of the two is accurate (TTSX versus TSX). It all depends on what the rifle prefer. My Weatherby Accumark shoot better with the TSX ( 5 shot group 4th picture) whereas my friend Franks MK V shoots the TTSX more accurate than the TSX although not by much. I can make the TTSX shoot in my Accumark but I have to seat the bullet deeper than the TSX. The 3rd picture was with Franks 257 Weatherby. Those were 8 shot group. Four of those bullet went into the same hole. Never work with small caliber though.