Yateswell

Tumbler or Sonic Cleaner

16 posts in this topic

About to start reloading, I've purchased most of equipments to start except a tumbler / sonic cleaner, never used one before so I've no idea which one to buy. I've read some reviews but can't make up my mind. Can you experienced guys shed some lights here? Appreciate your help as always. Buy they way, I'll be starting with .223Rem and 40SW.

Tumbler, get your walnut shell froms eco-shell.com along with NuFinish Car Polish from Walmart and you will be set.Darren

What D-Man said. Go with a vibratory machine. It's all you'll ever need. The Nu Finish makes your casings shinier than a diamond in a goat's butt. And if you've ever seen a big diamond in a goat's butt, you would certainly agree with me. :good:

I dont polish my cases. I dont care if they shine or not. I do clean them well. sometimes in the dish washer, and sometimes with IOSSO cleaner. I have a vibratory polisher but rarely use it. I spent too much time cleaning tumbling media out of the primer holes. DR

DR I clean the primer pocket holes after they're tumbled using my flash hole reamer tool. I have to do it anyway so it makes sense for me to do this after they come out of the walnut shells. The reamer fits in my cordless drill so as fast as I can pick them up they get done. It works great.

If you are just reloading for pistols then get a tumbler or vibratory type.If you are reloading rifle and you want the inside of the case clean then get both.

I tumbled for 20+ years, then my vibratory bowl gave up the ghost and I started using the ultrasonic. It gets the brass clean inside and out, but not shiny. Both methods still left the primer pockets in need of attention. I looked into ceramic media, and after a bit of research I decided on stainless steel media - HERE is a link to the videos of it.I've seen the results in talking to the guys at the high power matches, and a bunch of BPCR shooters swear by it, so I'm giving it a try. A bit more expensive to gear up for, but the whole system lasts forever.

Now I'm bit confused. I will reload 40SW and .223 but I don't really care about the shines of the brass, so the tumbler or vibratory type does not clean the inside of the brass? And how important / critical are the cleanness of the inside of the brass? How often do I need to change the media in a tumbler?

Your tumbling media will last quite a while. So far I have only changed mine about once a year and use it at least once a week if not more to tumble brass. It will get the brass clean on the outside and knock the carbon level way down on the inside of the brass and in a lot of cases get it spotless. I do utilize a double tumble of my brass, once as soon as I get it back from the range, then a second time after I do all my case prep to get the primer pocket clean along with all the wax from sizing off of the brass. Since you are in Duarte and I am not too far away get in touch with me if you want to come over sometime and I can walk you through the process. Have lots of walnut shell as well if you want some for free.Darren

Say hello to Rick for me when you go over there, that is if you are going where I think you are. Saturday - not good as I will be sitting in my chair on pain meds after my knee surgery. Give me a week or so and then I should be good to show you.Darren

Understood, did not see your other post when post mine. You're right about where I'm heading to and looking forward to seeing you soon.