Shoot-it

venison how too prepare

35 posts in this topic

I got my meat today from my b zone buck 62 pounds . what is a good way too marinade the steaks. and chops . I plan too bbq tonight so need a reply soon getting hungry. no tag soup this season.... :D

First off it should be against the law to MARINADE any meat....Dry rub for me and never cook venison past Medium rare to Medium..

Dry rub for me too. Rub a little oil on the meat and then your favorite steak rub. I mix my own but plain lemon pepper is good enough.

I let my chops soak in red wine vinegarette for about 30 minutes before cooking, then use a cajun spice rub (my own special blend) before slapping them on the BBQ. The vinegarette tenderizes the meat and removes any real gamey flavor, the rub covers any mild vinegar taste left from the soak. I also cook them medium to well done, as I can't stand a bloody steak.

Thanks for the replies ..Well I went a head and rubbed the pepper and seasoned salt in the steak and BBQ ed it cooked them medium well it was great tender had great flavor no gamy taste. I will try your chops recipe next time wess...

Soreloser has the best advise , no matter how you flavor it , dont overcook , Medium Rare to Medium . Grilling on a Webber I like to Salt & Pepper ( Suzy Q ) cook over med hot coals till one side starts to bleed through , flip , ( notethe amount of time it took to bleed through ) Cook almost an equal time on opposite side , for the last couple of minutes , splash with Blackberry Brandy and cover . Steaks taste like candy . Warning Alcohol is flamable use caution .Wood choice , Red oak , Mesquite or Kingsford Briquettes .All else fails , drink the remaining Brandy .

i slice it thin and fry it up in butter and make a sandwich just like my daddy did it

Dry rub for me too. Rub a little oil on the meat and then your favorite steak rub. I mix my own but plain lemon pepper is good enough.
I was going to ask if anyone used lemon pepper on their venison. I happend to try it the other night. Sliced the venison into small bites, added lemon pepper, olive oil, and a bit more pepper.... cooked on high heat for a bit and threw in some spinach. When done toss over some white rice. YUM!

If you want to do a dry rub you've got a lot of choices sounds like. I do both dry and wet. I soaked some steak in Pinapple juice, olive oil, Molasas, Werchester sauce and a splash of vinegar. I also added Garlic, Ground Oregano Salt and Pepper to taste. After it soalked for a while I removed the venison put it in an almost dry pan and seared it so that it was golden on all sides and then put it in the oven at 350 for 15 minutes. I had small potates and leeks made and when the venison was done I took the drippings added them to the leftover marinade and added a teaspoon of cornmeal with some water and stirred the marinade over low heat till it thickens. Plate your venison potatoes and leeks and drizzle the sauce over the meat. Serve with drink of your choice.

Try this, you wont be disapointed.This is a game rub and cooking technique I have been using this year. I credit it to a big game hunter/Doctor/professional chef buddy of mine. I have modified it slightly from it's original, just for simplicity. So far I have used this method on Venison and Duck breast but I think it would go well on other game also. Enjoy Steak rub/Game rub 2.5 T McCormick’s Montreal Steak Seasoning 2 T Southseas Tri-Tip Seasoning½ T ground black pepper2 t garlic salt2 t salt1 t dried cilantro1 t ground cumin1 t ground coriander 1 t ground mustard1 t ground oregano1 t ancho chile pepper½ t ground cayenne pepper½ t ground sage½ t dried parsley½ t dried tarragonsauté½ Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil4 or 5 minced cloves of Garlic1 cup minced Shallots5 chopped jalapeñosFlour for dredgingGrill meat to sear it with the hash marks and cook it to half done. Set meat aside. In a skillet, add extra virgin olive oil, garlic, shallots and jalapeños, sauté for a few minuets. dredge the grilled meat in flour, then sauté in the garlic, shallots and jalapeño mixture until desired, don't over cook.You can enjoy whole, or slice the meat into 1/4" thick pieces and use as an appetizer.

cooking some backstraps right now yes don't over cook your meat.
that is what I had tonight !! YUM

bullseye are you a chef some of you sound like it. I just rubbed some Cajun seasoning and salt and pepper and the stacks and chops came out good. this 07 season I eat tag soup i am glad I saved some venison from 06 season.

D-man calls me Emeril when we go hunting but no I am not a chef I just like to cook. Use to work as a cook back in the day but not anymore.

Guys, I like the idea of grilling the venison. I just got a G13 doe and while I'ld love to grill it, I was not able to hang it and age it, so I'm worried about gaminess and toughness. Do you think just a simple marinade (vinegrette or soy sauce overnight, etc) would be enough to prep it for grilling?

Italian Dressing and a little worchestire sauce always comes out good. I usually age it in my refrigerator cut up.

Soreloser & others nail it on NOT over cooking it. Deer meat has little to no fat & can be easily over cooked. REAL EASY!ALSO, whether rubbing or marinating, let it A-G-E in the refrigerator for at least 24 hours with 48 hrs even better. Some folks will age even longer, however, I get nervous after approx 48 hrs. lolFrank

OMG! I find myself agreeing with soreloser. lol It's been a few years but whenever I shot a deer and had it processed I had them remove the bone from the back haunches and tie up a couple of roasts. I also like the boneless steaks and chops for cooking up like chicken fried steak. The rest I had made into burger and stew meat. When I cut up the deer myself which was most of the time when I lived in SE Alaska I basically did the same thing only I removed the back straps and cut them up like fillet mignon that I liked to BBQ. I just season them with Farmer Bros Season All and throw them on the Weber. Med rare. The stew meat was made into stroganoff or stew and the burger was made into spaghetti sauce, Swedish meatballs, burgers or anything else you'd make with burger. I mostly did the same thing with caribou but since you got more meat I'd have some of it made into hot dogs and summer sausage.

For steaks bread it with flour and some salty steak seasoning of some sort, and pan fry in olive oil. Simple and tastes great.Have all of the rest made into jerky and pepperoni sticks. A lot depends on the type of venison your cooking. Some rank buck out of the hills may need to be marinaded to get rid of gamey taste and tenderize it. I'm used to eating alfalfa bucks that taste like they came out of a feedlot, lol. They don't have much of a gamey taste :horse apples:

If your worried about drying the steaks to much soak them in a bath of olive oil over night that will make them nice and juicy then you can add your dry rub before throwing the steaks on the grill.

any meat I grill anymore beef or venison gets dipped in olive oil then add the fry rub I think the oil promotes the flavor of the rub into the meat plus it protects teh meat from drying out on the ends.I usually just use garlic salt and pepper but I do like the canadian steak from sams club it is not near as salty as the other montreal seasonings I have triedthen I like to give it a little bit of stubbs spicy bbq sauceIt also helps give it those cool little grill marks.

Oil on the meat helps to keep it from sticking to the grill and helps to hold the rub on the meat. But a good sear is what really helps to keep a steak of any kind moist and juicy. :D