Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tradhistorian

10X42 or 8X42 Binos?

9 posts in this topic

Hey guys I am looking at new Binos and was wondering which you suggested 10X42 or 8X42 and the reason why.ThanksBrett

Hello Brett....Generally speaking, for all around hunting use, I would lean more toward the 8-power binoculars. With the 8's your field of view will be a bit wider and they will be easier to hold steady. They may be a bit brighter than the 10's too. The key is to purchase good quality glass. You'll be looking through them a lot and if you buy less than quality glass, your eyes will get tired quickly and you'll regret it in the long run. Hawke make some very nice binoculars and they are priced right. I use a Hawke Frontier 8 X 43 with Phase ED glass and they are superb. You can pay three times the price but you won't get better quality. On our last antelope hunt in Wyoming, our professional guide liked them so much he bought them from me at the end of our hunt. I had to order myself a new pair.RedHunterLLC - Optics by Hawke

Yep, ditto Red... plus the 10x can cause eye strain, sometimes fairly quickly too. I vote for the 8xGood Luck

Magnification doesn't matter! It's the quality of glass that does. For all around glass, the 8X magnification is all you need. As a matter of fact the 7X is even better, but the trend now is towards 8X. Buy the most expensive binos you can afford. You won't regret it.

These weren't options in your question but I like my 7x35's more than my 10x50's. Smaller, lighter, easier to carry or pack, great field of view.

Red nailed it-8X are much easier to hold steady.

I have had 2 10x50 Rangers from Eagle Optics that I have used extensively (daily for 6-8months out of the year) for spotting game and birds. I would not trade them for anything. However Vortex has some really affordable glass as well. They make smaller versions 8x42 etc that i would pick up to keep in the truck if I ran across some. I have not had any problems with eye strain and I use them more than most people I know. Many of my friends that have the 8x have lusted over my 10x but mine are significantly larger. You will not be disappointed!

Thanks for the replies I appreciate the help...I was looking at the Zen rays but will check out the red hunter From hawke binos as well thanks again for the helpBrett