Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Broncowilly

The ultimate hunting rig!

20 posts in this topic

Folks, I just have to share with you my 1962 AMC M422A1 Mighty Mite. I've had countless deer in the back and even a bull elk!IMG_20101222_135858.jpgYou can tell from the nose to nose with the Jeep Wrangler the size difference.IMG_20101213_163852.jpg

He He He!!! That is the important half, Christine.Red Dog, it weighs less than 1700 pounds, has independent suspension and posi-traction front and rear, an air cooled V-4 108cid engine with 55 hp and a fording kit that allows it to ford over 50 inches of water. The Mite will fit in the bed of a long bed 3/4 ton pick-up truck and still close the tail gate. The wheel base on my M422A1 is 71 inches. The M422 is 65 inches.

Very nice rig, it does look small next to the rubicon.Lee

Thanks fellas! I took the Mite out today and made four call sets but alas, no coyotes! I had a great time though and got hung up at the Jawbone Canyon Store for about 30 minutes telling a couple of guys what the Mite is. A guy offered to trade a decked out Rhino for it. I told him make it two and it's a deal!

This was a few years ago but here is a bull elk in the bed of the Mite. A jacked up bull with jacked up antlers but still a bull.Miteelk.jpg

You got it Ornery ;)I've had this Mite for a long while now and on several occasions I've tried to locate the tool box that goes behind the driver's seat. The PO removed it, as so many have been, to push the driver's seat back. Well even though I'm 6'4" I decided to start up the search again a few months ago. I was able to pick up one from a damaged tub. When I got it there was a lot of extra flooring, fender, wheel well and inner fender still attached. I'm glad all the extra was there because it allowed me to size and fit it myself. I'll keep you all posted on the progress :signtripledogdare2wf: Nothing special here about the seat being moved back by removing the tool box.P3100010.jpgThe tool box after rough sizing.P3100009.jpgAnd sitting in the Mite where it will eventually go.P3100011.jpg

Here are some more photos.After removing the seat I was able to see just what I had to do to fit the new box.P3120012.jpgDoing some fitting.P3120013.jpgAndP3120014.jpgThe top fit.P3120015.jpgInstalled and painted. Now to find a tig welder in my area.P3120016.jpgI'm using pop rivets and once it is welded in place I'll fill in the heads of the rivets with a dob of JB weld.P3120017.jpgThe top is so close and will weld in nicely. P3120018.jpgInstalling the tool box pushes the seat forward six inches so it is now very tight but more the way it's supposed to be.P3120019.jpg

Shortly after high school I bought a Suzuki Brute. It reminds me very much of your Mite Mite. The brute had a water cooled 2 stroke engine. It was small and narrow and could climb about anything, But was it slow! Someware I have a pic of it loaded in the bed of my long bed Chevy Pu. Good times DR