Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
filterbiz

investing in a predator/universal gun

52 posts in this topic

what should i buy? curently have a rem 870 express dead coyote choke, just want a rifle with a scope.223.27070030.06i want to be able to use it for whatever i hunt.Thanks everyone i just dont want to buy something to big or smalloh yeah, keep the price down as well 3-500 bucks

Yep, .243 will do you well on coyotes and also on deer or most other animals you will be hunting in California.

Big5 has the Savage Edge with a Scope in .243 for $349I was going to buy it, but bought a Mosin and sporterized it instead. Maybe next year

Another vote for .243. I have a Tikka T3 lite, that is a little higher than your price range but you ought to take a look. If not that, then look into Savage rifles.

.243 or .25-06. If you plan on using heavier bullets in the .243 anyways (75gr or 87gr) you may want to consider the 25-06. I had a real hard time choosing between the two. It came down to this, if you plan to hunt mostly larger game with the occasional small game and predator get the 25-06. Otherwise, the .243 is an excellent choice.

Like bisley pretty much said, What will you be using the gun for? Mostly Predators/varmints with an occasional Deer= .243Mostly Deer/pigs and occasional predator/varmint= 25-06 or bigger

.243 or 7mm-08Darren
I agree with D-Man on this one. 243 for predators and deer. 7mm-08 for anything larger and it will still handle predators with lighter bullets. And they are both short actions cartridges.

You do have one other option here. While I absolutely love my .243, I have to admit that it is one inefficient and expensive round to shoot compared to something like a .223. When you look at rifle prices these days ($250-$400 for a brand new rifle) the money you save over time on a .223 would more than offset the price of a larger rifle for larger game if so desired later. Not only is factory ammo much cheaper, but even reloading. You would save about $5 per box on bullets and 10grs of powder or more per round, all while not being undergunned for predator. That adds up real quick! Then you can take the money you've then saved in the first year alone and buy yourself a Savage (I actually like the Stevens line for value) or something in a big game caliber of your choice. Hind sight being 20/20, this is probably what I should have done, especially since I have already have larger caliber rifles. Do not get me wrong, I LOVE my .243 and am sure you will too, but the reality of it is: a .223 is much much more efficient and will more than afford you the option of owning 2 rifles for 2 entirely different tasks which is just flat out a good idea. There is nothing a man with say a .223 and an -06 would be over or under gunned for.Moral of the story? While the 1 gun theory is great, it is not necessarily the most practical. Start by getting yourself an efficient proven predator killer (.223) and used saved $ for an efficient proven bigger game caliber. You will be much happier, and in the end, much better armed. Trust me, I've been there. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

what should i buy? curently have a rem 870 express dead coyote choke, just want a rifle with a scopei want to be able to use it for whatever i hunt.
One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375 :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375 :rolleyes:
Sure, that'll work for ground squirrels and maybe coyotes, but what about REALLY BIG game like deer? :smiley-outta-here:

I'm with Bisley on this one. .243 or a 25-06 but I'd lean more twards the .25-06

I just got a .243 I'm pretty happy with. Opted to take it on my pig hunt last weekend over my 30-06 because of the better scope I have on it, and had some great results.

I'm with Bisley on this one... on all of it !!While the one gun concept is argueably a great one, it really may not necessarily be the best, most practical or affordable way to go... in the long run. And along with that, to me, one gains much more pleasure & satisfaction out of their weapon & sport, with a firearm that is specifically designed for the task at hand. Much More!The 223 is an awesome round IMO... An over achiever if you will. A powerhouse in a small package. While my 22-250 is probably my favorite (& most used) predator caliber, friends & I have gone back to using our 223's more lately. And we have been nothing short of amazed at the damage they have done on some of our coyotes (that we obviously forgot the 223 could do).Good LuckFrank

A .50BMG is always good for ground squirrels but cant have em in California.Go with a .557 T-Rex. You'll be ready for everything from backyard mice to the odd elephant you call in on the coyote hunt. :lol:

A .50BMG is always good for ground squirrels but cant have em in California.Go with a .557 T-Rex. You'll be ready for everything from backyard mice to the odd elephant you call in on the coyote hunt. :lol:
OMG!