Lost1

Spotting Scope

20 posts in this topic

;) Hey allI need a spotter that will help my old eyes see a 17cal. hole in paper at 200yds. My 20 year old Tasco 20x60x60 won't do. I know most of the high end glass will work, but at $1500--$2500 not worth the few times I will use it. Anyone know of anything that will meet this task for $400 or less?? ThanksThanks I purchased a scope I think will work. Thanks again

You could always buy the paper that leaves a nice bright mark where the bullet hit it... They sell some at Walmart that is black, but leaves a bright yellow mark where each shot hits, works very good! As for me, I bought a new Winchester spotting scope this year and I'm very impressed with it, but I don't think I could see a .17" hole at 200 yards with it though.

I second the Leupold Green Ring Sequoia. Don't get me wrong, it's not the same quality as a gold ring Leupold, but I got the 15-45x model, with a hard case and a plastic tripod for under $300. It does the job very well. When you combine the spotting scope with Shoot 'n See targets, you've got a great combination. riflescopes.com has great prices and sometimes even has free S & H.

:P Thank You for your help.Sorry I took so long to respond to your suggestions, I just got home from work this evening. ( 8 days in Wy.Home for 6) Anyway after reading your posts, some other forums and making a few calls to Opticsplanet. I just got fed up :P with stuff like light conditions, atmosphere, lens size. :lol: So I just said screw it and bought a Bushnell 20x-60x 80 ED Elite it should do all I need plus more. I opened the box when I got home can't wait till tomorrow to see what I can see. I'll let ya know. Thanks again for your replies.

i have had a leupold 12-40 spotter for about 12 years and it has been through the ringer but everyone i know still asks to borrow it when they go out. it was a little more than you want to spend. not sure what they want for them now but i paid $600.

I don't think you'll find many if any scopes that will show a .17 hole at 200 yards. But this one should and it's near your price range. It called a Nikon Sky & Earth 80mm ($480 including 20-60X eyepiece). Pretty good price for a lot of scope.

As a matter of fact that scope is on sale right now at Optics Planet for $348. Here is the link.http://www.opticsplanet.net/www.opticsplan...20-60x80mm.html

Thanks again For your input folks :( I looked through the Bushnell (post #6) I could see the bird dog poop on the power lines 250 + yrds. away.Nice,clear,crisp I Think it will see the 17cal. holes at 200 yrd.

I have two scopes I use for birding. One is the Bushnell Spacemaster. It's a decent machine and it has a closer focusing distance than the more expensive, Baush and Lomb 70mm I have. The colour saturation and edge detail, as well as the reduced halo due to the lens coatings is notiby better on it. Baush is the higher-end products. Baush also makes Bushnell optics for the general consumer market.It's kind of like Dewalt has there Dewalt line of tools, and then there is their Black and Decker line for the general consumer market.db

No you didn't. If the model of Bushnell scope you purchased has an ED lens (Extra low Dispersion glass) , then it should be a good one. The proof is in the pudding. Take it out and see if it meets your needs. The 80mm objective should make it nice and bright to look through.db

I am always wary of items that don't show their brand name.db

That's a good price.db