Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
4RHUNTS

M1 Garand

15 posts in this topic

Went out plinking today with a good friend, my Daughter, and her friend. My friend brought his Garand out and being that I had never shot one before, I just had to try it out. Well I fell in love with that rifle and now I really think I NEED one of those. One will go nice with my M1 carbine, '03 Springfield, 1917 Enfield, and my AR15. It was a lot of fun to shoot. My Daughter liked it too.Time to check out the CMP !! Any thoughts on these rifles?

Yes 4rhunts you NEED one. Anytime I open the safe my M-1 comes out just so I can feel the history. Darn thing shoots like a dream too. Yes you NEED one! Longboard

WATCH YOUR FINGERS WHEN LOADING IT!!! Oh, and go buy one for sure.

I noticed that the Big 5 here in the Yuba City area just today had the M1 listed for sale at $750.

$750 @ big 5 is probably new made M1CARBINE not Garand.The greek returns are really nice at CMP. If you order one be sure to order the ammo(in the clips) with it. Great price and you do not want to shoot fac ammo in a garand unless it is spec for the garand on the box. I suggest the service grade or if you have the money a correct grade. My correct grade rifles look unfired. My service grade rifles have all been excellent condition.

I would avoid the Big 5 M1 garands and M1 carbines. They are overpriced and in poor shape; that's the word around the campfire anyways.

Thanks for the responses. I will post about WHEN I get it. And I am aware of "M1 Thumb".

what does cmp stand for???

Love mine - I shoot in our monthly Military Rifle Silhouette matches with it using my worked up cast loads. I Don't shoot the CMP matches anymore - my back cant get into the sitting position they force you to use. Thousands of cast rounds down the pipe and no leading or fouling of the gas port... Get the surplus ammo from CMP to get you going, then reload from there. Then if you really want an inexpensive round, PM me about casting your own.