Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jawbreaker

the cloudy day call

12 posts in this topic

I made this little guy up today and thought I'd post it up here. This one is sold but I can make more of them in many different colors.calls1-26-11002.jpg Thanks for looking, Ron

what is the material made of? Very nice looking call

very nice. I like the way the sound comes off acrylic. Very sharp which is needed for cottontail.

I too like the crisp sound of an acrylic call and I like the closed reed for ease of use and not having to worry about broken or tweeked reeds but I find that using them in the winter at higher altitudes is a PIA due the reed freezing up after the first series of calls rendering it virtually useless until for the remainder of the stand. Does anyone know of a way to avoid this problem other than using open reeds exclusively in the winter?

Does anyone know of a way to avoid this problem other than using open reeds
FOXPRO, with lithium (sp?) batteries... Sorry, couldn't help myself (even though true btw)! But I do agree with you on the closed vs open reed calls and is at least partly why I like the closed reeds better. So my dilema would be the same as yours in cold weather in other words & another reason why I love my Foxpro.I never noticed or was not aware of the acrylic calls sounding sharper with the cottontail sounds? Guess I may need to buy one to find out? Has anyone ever compared the acrylic cottontail to Dan Thompson's PC 3 call? The PC 3 has been my favorite "cottontail" call for years. Loud and high pitched!Frank

Just keep your calls in your pocket not on the lanyard, if it is cold enough to freeze the reeds.
Maybe I need to invent a call heater! Constantly going into my pocket for the call makes for too much squirming around on the stand. I've tried everything to keep them from freezing including modified coozies and turning the call backwards and breathing through it when not calling. The spit just freezes in the reed when it gets down below 25 degrees.