Heywood

West Coast Air Gun Show

35 posts in this topic

Same experience here. I was really looking forward to seeing some of the new and cutting edge stuff rather I found tables of vendors trying to off their sloppy seconds and unsellables. Very disappointed. I was actively speaking with a vendor regarding a fixer Benji 312, just as I ask him is price, his wife cuts in to ask the price of another gun on the table for someone else. He just drops me and starts to talk to this octogenarian about this import from Europe and how he can't budge on the price and blah, blah, blah, the guy was seriously a windbag. I stood there for a minute or so thinking he would break off and finish our conversation but he just saw dollar signs with this $1200 import and I guess my $40 or $60 wasn't all that for him. I just turned and walked away in disgust.

Let's see, I made the show about 1400 and walked through looking at all the tables. Yes, there was lots of junk/collectibles. Some was interesting and some was pitiful. Crosman had a little range where the youngsters could try airgun shooting. Hopefully they got some new shooters started. Two guys had a table and they displayed their efforts at making replicas of air guns from the late 18th and early 19th century. One was a replica of the airgun that Lewis & Clark had on their expedition. Great workmanship and ingenuity. Apparently they weren't interesting selling a product, just wanted to display their efforts.Mac-1 was there. Tim had donated a gun for one of the door prizes. They were busy all the time, it seemed.Bryan & Associates was present. They were working on guns continuously. Had some nice display guns showing their workmanship.Huckleberry Electronic Targets, were neat but expensive to buy. They are airgun targets that have LEDs positioned around the two steel discs that are the target. If you hit a bullseye, all 16 of the LEDs flash. A hit off the bull, flashes LEDs in the quadrant of your hit. Kind of a neat concept but, a $189 of expensive. They are for airgun ranges and have been sold to the Wyoming National Guard.It was a small show but, the entry fee is only $5 and the food was affordable. $2 for a hot dog & $3 for a chili dog. The Career .45 & the Sumatra 22 and another Korean 45 were on a table for sale. One of the used custom 45 hunting rifles was on the table. Saw some interesting target guns. Started to have an itch in the palm of my hand but, I restrained myself. ;)Remember the airgun shows won't rival the regular gun shows until the population of airgun shooters equals powder shooters.

Made the show this morning. Had quite few things to look at there. I took 800.00 with me and came home with 795.00. I was really looking to spend some money but did not find exactly what I was looking for. I wish the show would have been a little bigger and spread out some. The walking isle's were pretty crowded in a lot of places. I was also expecting vendors there to be selling some new air rifles. Mostly used ones there, some real nice ones and a lot of junk. Just did not find one that said I have to have it.
Most air gun shows are a mix of new and old air guns, parts etc. For many of the vendors that sell the new products it not easy for them to get the shows. Air gun shows are not the big type firearms shows, that many are used to. A 40-50 table air gun show has as many items or more when you compare it to 500+ table show. It is hard to find places for shows these days that first will even let you conduct a show. Key word for halls is GUN! So you are sometimes very limited to hall size especially when you have limited funds to put on a show. An air gun show is much like a fire arm show in the sense that there are tables of junk even at fire arms shows.

I was there both days..went up with LD and while he was selling/trading,spent time looking and chatting with folks and meeting some new people. I came home with 4 tins of Cometa brand pellets..Think the Las Vegas Shot show consumed most vendors(new products),but Manu Bros was there with new Cometa Brand Springers and the new Cometa Lynx PCP....another vendor was there with a large assortment of new Crosman products and they are a new business (I hear) local to the Sacremento area..was not to impressed with those folks but I'll leave details out and spare everyone that story..Personally.I thought this show was a success all things considered and admit it was more an airgun swap meet that a new product show,...Here are some pics..AIRGUNSHOW003.jpgAIRGUNSHOW002.jpgAIRGUNSHOW007.jpgAIRGUNSHOW006.jpgAIRGUNSHOW005.jpgAIRGUNSHOW004.jpgAIRGUNSHOW009.jpgAIRGUNSHOW008.jpgAIRGUNSHOW012.jpg

I was not putting the Show down just telling my experience with it. I hope they have another one and that they continue to have them here and they grow. I will definitely attend the next one. It only cost me 5 dollars and I would gladly spend it again. The big powder burner shows are nothing like they used to be years ago. I used to go to them before their was such a thing as a waiting period. Like I said I just did not run in to a rifle that said to me buy me! If I would have I would have bought it. I even told the boss I was going to buy one. She could not believe I came home empty handed. LOL

Boy am I glad I didn't attend this show... 1040 miles round trip at $4.09/gal diesel = $250 just to get there and back. Then I have to sleep someplace and eat. And for what, a bit of used junk and a few tables of pellets. I fully expected that all the manufacturers would be there with all their wares...I can see if you are a vendor trying to make a buck, but the dollars just don't compute for me. I say again - It may as well have been on the Moon, and I stand by my first assessment... :good:

I was not putting the Show down just telling my experience with it. I hope they have another one and that they continue to have them here and they grow. I will definitely attend the next one. It only cost me 5 dollars and I would gladly spend it again. The big powder burner shows are nothing like they used to be years ago. I used to go to them before their was such a thing as a waiting period. Like I said I just did not run in to a rifle that said to me buy me! If I would have I would have bought it. I even told the boss I was going to buy one. She could not believe I came home empty handed. LOL
I did not take your comments or any others as 'negative' at all...but i do think some peoples expectations were different about the show re product mix,..new vs used....and that will be good feedback to the organizers..Interesting was comments/questions from the public as they entered the show: Many were hoping to get parts they needed for various airguns they owned...and that was passed on to the organizer..Hard to say what will happen next year...this same organizer last had a show in Reno 10 years ago.

I sure hope they have another one and I hope more vendors show up new and used. I got there about an hour after it opened and had two kids in tow. I should have went back the next day when it was not so busy. I almost bought an used R-9 but could not pull the trigger on it. The stock had been replaced with a later one. If it would have had the original stock on it I would have bought it. I was looking for a R-7, but did not see one that I wanted. I probably would have bought a new one that day if someone would have had one there I could have put my hands on. I like to look at stuff before I buy it. Sometimes stuff gets in my hands and does not get to leave. My wallet comes out and it is a deal. Thats the way I like to do it. Next time I might have more money to spend. They had some real nice high end target rifles there also. I just do not look at what I can not afford at the time. I thought about buying an R-1 also while I was there. It just was not what I went for and I have one already. I think I will just order me a new R-7 and be done with it. Then I can make up my mind about and look for the next one I want.