Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dangerranger

No love for the rimfires?

31 posts in this topic

Im new here, and just scanning through I dont see much of anyone useing rimfires. I mostly shoot ground squirrels, so rimfires are my main battle rifles. I shoot 22lr, 17Mach2, 17HMR,for under 250yds and then 22 Hornet, 223, for longer shots. in the next couple of days Ill post up some pics of the rifles Ive built. DR

Hey DR, trust me ground squirrels are pretty much everyones practice and battlefield when the season is here! I'm pretty sure it's my second favorite thing to do :doh[1]: Post those pics of your rifles i want to see them and i'm sure i'm not the only one who wants to see them. I stick pretty heavy with my twenty two but plan on getting a 22 mag for the little longer shots, to me it's must funner using the little guns taking heads off :) i will post a pic of mine too. Point being your in the right spot. welcome bud

Welcome to the forum. I also enjoy my 22's. No 17's but own a few 22 lrs.

There are a lot of posts about rim fires just no section for them yet Hint hint SJ but I have read and posted on here about mine.in the AR section I know there was a long running post on them.

I think rimfires will always be my favorite, especially the .22 mag. Fun, still inexpensive to plink or hunt and is a very capable round and now have several different cartridges to choose from.

Welcome to the forum, dangerranger. When it's squirrels time (which I can hardly wait for), I ususally start out with my Savage .22lr or 10-22. When the squirrels start to move away and make me have to shoot longer shots, I switch to my .223. It's a lot of fun to see them fly 4-5ft in the air while twirling backward. AHHHH, I can't wait! Good shooting!!

this is one I made for my grandson it started out as a singleshot marlin 120. we chose that model because it cocks on closing and loads from a tray instead of having to put each round into the chamber. his little hands have trouble pulling back the striker on some others.IMG_1084.jpgthis was the cleaning table after a squirrel hunt. I have 6 boys and 4 grandkids[so far]IMG_1091.jpgthis is a glenfield 25[marlin 80] that is ready for final assembly I got it as a bucket of parts. now its been converted to 17HM2. it uses a GM sporter weight barrel, and a 2lb trigger.IMG_20881.jpgthis has my marlin 80 on top and the 17m2 belowIMG_2093.jpg

Not bad. Nothing funner then a 22 I think. Still a classic and a fun gun. I own a few 22s. Marlin 60 in 22lr, a 22 mag, save 22/410 over and under. They are so fun

this is one I made for my grandson it started out as a singleshot marlin 120. we chose that model because it cocks on closing and loads from a tray instead of having to put each round into the chamber. his little hands have trouble pulling back the striker on some others.IMG_1084.jpgthis was the cleaning table after a squirrel hunt. I have 6 boys and 4 grandkids[so far]IMG_1091.jpgthis is a glenfield 25[marlin 80] that is ready for final assembly I got it as a bucket of parts. now its been converted to 17HM2. it uses a GM sporter weight barrel, and a 2lb trigger.IMG_20881.jpgthis has my marlin 80 on top and the 17m2 belowIMG_2093.jpg
Nice! :lol:

I built this stock from a Boyds second. the rifle is a marlin 60 that I bought new in 1975. I paid $29.95 for it back then. theres no telling how many rounds have been through it. its cleaned up pretty well tho.IMG_21961.jpgIMG_21941.jpgstevens favorite 1915. one of my new favorites. I drilled out and relined this gun to make it a shooter and the first time I shot it I was able to take second in a 100yd off hand match. not bad for a 95 year old rifle!Picture023.jpgthanks for letting me show them off. DRheres a couple more,this is a Marlin 25m that I converted to 17HMR. I used a GM heavy fluted barrel. I also adde a second stock bolt.I used a piece of the old barrel to make the front lug. the barrel was made for a ruger so it had the cut for their V block. I put the second lug in that cut. IMG_21661.jpgIMG_21691.jpgIMG_21761.jpg

Very nice rifles! Heres a couple of mine. Mine when i had a whistle big barrelNow it has a new scope and volquartsen carbon fiber barrel. i will post another pic when i find one or i will take oneaugust172009098.jpgThe girlfriends ( on order is a purple tactical solutions barrel and matching thumbhole stock) she's loves shotting squirrelshttp://s239.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/C...st172009064.jpg

Cool rifle! even cooler badger! I dont think Ive ever seen one out of a zoo. DR

Welcome, DR. Along with many of the others here, I also shoot the rimfires. 17 Hummer & Mach 2, 22 WMR & 22 LR. I've been playing with airguns recently and haven't had much chance to shoot the burners. Here's the most unusual rimfire in my accumulation, a J. Stevens Armoury Model with a 20X Unertl scope mounted on it.

post-16-1295166962_thumb.jpg

Love my rimfires!CZ 452 American .17 HMRCz452American.jpgCZ 452 Varmint .22 WMRDSC02200Medium.jpgSavage Mark II BTVSS .22LRDSC07640Medium.jpgDSC07641Medium.jpgSavage 93R17 BTVSS .17 HMRDSC01725Medium.jpg

Thanks, I like Marlins too. I just mounted an Elite 3200 5-15x40 mil-dot on my Marlin 982vs .22 WMR but don't have any photos to share yet.

2009_0124quailarizona0007-1.jpg6-24-09squirrelshoot009.jpga couple of my .22 squirrel guns, but not rim fire :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:oh and I was just cleaning the cooper in the truck :smiley_green_with_envy:

I got the picture, this is my baby :smiley_green_with_envy: shoot some cci mini mag round nose through it and watch out! two pound trigger, poly buffer, volquartsen barrel and hawke scope. THIS thing is just plain fun!january162011casey004.jpgjanuary162011casey003.jpg

Whats a rimfire? :smiley_green_with_envy: My old 22 is worn out and is unsafe to shoot any more need to get a new one. Cool guns guys.

Love my rimfires. Favorite is a CZ 453 with the heavy barrel in a .17 HMR. Got a Mueller APV on it, not the fanciest gun ever but what a great shooter. Love the Single Set Trigger. Perfect for a squirrel shooter. Just got stocked up on ammo, for what it is worth BiMart in Oregon has the Hornady .17 HMR 17 grn V-Max on sale for $9.99 a box... limit 5 per customer. Had to drag the inlaws through to get enough 'customers' along... lol. Sign said sale runs through Febuary. Might be worth the drive to get stocked up on ammo, CA prices are ridicolous plus you have sales tax. Got a couple of .22's I shoot as well. Used to shoot brick after brick of ammo though them, but anymore I just don't have the time to shoot a lot of squirrels so when I go I take something better, .17 HMR or .223. Still hard to beat a good 10/22 Ruger for close quarters squirrel combat zones... ;)Some nice looking rifles you all have. Going to have to start assembling a pink 10/22 for my oldest daughter... heck she's almost 4 years old... gotta start them out right. :(

Here's the most unusual rimfire in my accumulation, a J. Stevens Armoury Model with a 20X Unertl scope mounted on it.

post-16-1295166962_thumb.jpg

that looks like a fun shooter!