Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hylander

H&R Choice

10 posts in this topic

I'm planning on buying one of these:What do you think.Will be my Main Squirrel gun and Yote Gun. All are .223My first Choice: Ultra 24" bull barrel, Laminate StockultraV24.jpgSecond Choice: Fluted 24" Bull Barrel, Choat Stock with built in Bipodultravarmentflutedrifle.jpgThird Choice: 22" Bull Barrel, Choate Stock and Storage in butt Stocksurv223308BB.jpgI may Consider an Encore but they are alot more moneyBarrels are less than half the price for the H&R's

Second for me...but hey I like flutes!That thing come in a 22-250? ;)
The Second one comes in .204, .223, 22-250 and .243Of coarse after you buy it you can get just about any caliber barrel for it

Fluted barrels look nice and the hype is they weigh less and run cooler. I have two guns that are identical and I was going to have the seconded one fluted. My gunsmith friend after doing lots of them said it would reduce the weight by less than a 1/2 pound if it was full length and very deep fluting. And to get the cooling effect it would need to be on a machine gun. In other words they look cool, I like the look myself. But the animals will never see it and you won't be firing it fast enough to see the benefits. ;) I like the normal stock Sterling the other don't look comfortable.

Fluted barrels look nice and the hype is they weigh less and run cooler.
Hey Shooter,Mister Mister has an even better way to keep the barrels of his weapons cool. He doesn't shoot them!!! Works every time. ;);) db

Mister Mister has an even better way to keep the barrels of his weapons cool. He doesn't shoot them!!! Works every time. ;);)
signyouarebad2uc.pngsignlol2iu.gif

Bozsik The other big plus to not shooting them is that you don't have to clean them, nor buy bore guides, rods or other cleaning supplies. The money you save can be applied towards your next gun purchase or scope.

Sterling, the laminate stocks aren't super nice. They're strong and sturdy, but not nice like what you'd find on a Savage or Remington. I think H&R laminates are too light in color especially in the sun, and the checkering leaves something to be desired. But they're ok. You can always get a NICE custom stock from gunstocks.com he makes several nice walnut and laminate sets for H&R rifles for about $100.I personally don't like plastic stocks too much, and I don't like the draganov style butt either. It all depends on what feels good to you I suppose. Here's my H&R laminate in the full sun:ced143.jpgHere it is in indirect sunlight:nef06.jpgAnd here it is in the shade:nef04.jpgsq02.jpg