lif2fsh

no one shoots 22-250

32 posts in this topic

I agree with some of the others above, in that I can't imagine there being any fur friendly 22-250 loads out there. I believe it was last year, when Badcoyote, his dad & I went to pick up one of his coyote pelts from the taxidermist, and was told by the owner (of many years in the business) that he couldn't ever recall a more damaged hide than ours, including the pile of pelts in his building that day. He had to do a lot of sewing in other words, and it was shot by a 22-250. Heck, we've had large damage from 223's for that matter. At least on occasion! If you hit bone, it's gonna make a mess with almost any caliber. I would imagine a .17 remington or fireball would be much better suited if trying to avoid pelt damage. Frank

well i'm thinking if you want 100% of your pelts in good condition you could become an trapper or knee cap them with anything you shoot best and choke them out. :signs121fj:

well Hell I got a 22-250 so so guess i will be loading some up for it gonna start with some 55gn vmax and varget I think.

When I could shoot lead bullets the 55 gr V-Max did a pretty good job for me out of my 22-250. I used IMR 4064 powder. Most of the time there was no exit holes, but some of the time it got ugly.

Hey, I shoot the 55gr Hornady V-max rounds out of my 22-250 and haven't had much fur damage-just wait till the coyote is looking straight at you and hit them thru the chest. Just watch your boots when you pick them up by the tails. Lots of mush comes out their mouths. :signs1180lq: Here's an example of a direct chest shot at 70yds...P2050023.jpgHere's a broadside shot at 132yds...P1220011.jpgBoth shot with my favorite coyote rifle...P1220008.jpg

:doh[1]: Yep thats what i wanted to see and have found my self after i posted that question. 22/250 and won't look back.