lif2fsh

no one shoots 22-250

32 posts in this topic

I do. The middle gun below is a Savage actioned 22.250 with a Pacnor Supermatch 10" twist (.250 neck) barrel.DSC01092.jpg

Hey those beautiful rifles are strange.....the bolt is on the wrong side :drool: Money doesn't seem to be an issue for you...happy days!

My dad shoots and reloads for 22-250 and has for years. He has two of them.

I always reload my 22-250 for maximum accuracy and a variety of bullet weights. I have found the 22-250 to be a very versatile cartridge. I can't imagine not reloading for my 250.

No body reloads for a 22-250 to kill coyotes. :smiley_green_with_envy:
What is your intent of begging the question? If you do a search you'll find there's been some very good discussion on the 22-250, and yes I do.

I also reload for it too. My rifle's bolts are facing South too.

Hey those beautiful rifles are strange.....the bolt is on the wrong side :smiley_green_with_envy: Money doesn't seem to be an issue for you...happy days!
I have a bunch of those with the bolt on the correct side:The fourth one from the left is a 22.250Lefties.jpg

What is your intent of begging the question? If you do a search you'll find there's been some very good discussion on the 22-250, and yes I do.
I posted a HELP in finding a fur friendly load for a 22-250 because i have given up trying to find a fur friendly load in 6mm/284 and got NO response.

The problem with "fur friendly" loads is that what works well at 3800 fps and 100 yards doesn't work well at 2800 fps at 300 yards, and vise versa. There is no "fur friendly" load in alll conditions.

There's no such thing as fur friendly load. You're punching hole on an animal for crying out loud! I thought 300 grain 338 SMK is fur friendly until I saw what it did to a pup coyote which was shot at 480 yards away.AZone09003.jpgAZone09004.jpg

Yes i am quite aware there is no magic bullet and fur friendly might be asking a lot, but like i said in my post most shots are under 100yds, and would like to get a little better results than what i have come to expect from my 6mm.

I will be reloading the 22-250 again pretty soon. I am having a 26" Hart 1-8" twist barrel put on a Remington 700 action. I hope it shoots the Barnes 55 gr MPG or the Barnes 50 gr Varmint grenades good.

It's not the caliber or round that is the problem. It's shot placement. A perfectly placed texas heart shot exiting the open mouth will give you a perfect hide to work with every time.:drool:

If you not in the condor zone try out the Vmax.The ones I shot with 243 vmax did not exit 58,65 gr so a 55 gr 22-250 should be the same I would think. The coyote pelt that I kept and cured was shot with a 270 sp bullet the holes were not that big exit the size of a quarter .If you sow it up before you cure it then you will be ok I did not and it turned into a half dollar size,

lif2fsh,I'm shooting 65 gr Vmax out of my 6mm and they are very accurate and are as fur friendly as anything that can expand would be out of a 6mm. Pushing mine with H414. Makes for a very clean round.Your neighbor to the north.

I reload for the 22-250 regularly, It's my favorite round! Now as far as fur friendly...Well I can't help their. I generally want to see what I'm aiming at explode. If I can get in on a coyote hunt I will probably go with the 50gr Varmint grenade, From what I "hear" it will not go all the way through? But I'm new to coyote hunting and am all ears!I'd be happy to share my pet loads, But as we all know, What shoots well from my rifle may not be minute of squirrel in yours.

I should have added my 22-250 is a lever action so even a right handed person might be able to shoot it.

Pardon me for sounding a little weird, but if your shots are less than 100 yards and pelt damage is a concern, I would think that an ultra high speed caliber like a 22-250 might be the wrong one. Hell at less than 100 yards a .223 with a 50 grain vmax can leave an exit holt you can put your fist through. If the .22-250 is what you are going to run I would suggest a 55 grain soft point and load it down some. On the other hand if you are going load it down, that kind of defeats the purpose of a .22-250 in the first place. short range + .22-250 = big damage. Just food for thought

So you are paying $2.00 per shot???? :blush:
not if you reload it's not. many people reload for that round.

In all the 22-250's I have owned I have never found a real fur friendly load at the distances I shoot at. I settled on the 40 HP but at 0-100 yards it still leaves a mess sometimes. I run that load way,way over max listed in any books but my savage seems to like how it shoots and I could care less about burning up a barrel so that said I have really left that gun alone for the past 4-5 years and use my 17 Rem which is quite fur friendly but a little picky on shot placement. Try some of those light HP's and see what you think. They worked for the most part for me at the ranges you are talking about.....Walt