Shoot-it

Scope for 17HMR rifle

33 posts in this topic

I need a good clear scope for mu 17hmr savage rifle.Don't want to go over 200 in price.I am thinking mil dot so I can have it set for 100 yards and 150,200 and just use the dots for hold over.any idea'swhat do you guys feel about redfield scopes are the new ones junk?

My uncle picked up one of the new Redfield Scopes and loves it. My brother got one recently and he loves it too. I was looking at it and it is a nice scope for around $150. I really like the recticle, the size of the scope, clarity through the lens, and how simple it looks. It's the next scope I plan on getting.

BH is a great place. That's $5 towards my next scope...Found a picturepost-3-1294084875.jpg

I did a .17 HMR for a guy this winter Savage w/heavy Stainless barrel. Put a Nikon Buckmaster 6-18x40mm SF scope on it. I have one of the same scopes on a .223, both mil dot. It is a very nice scope, but overkill for a .17. I'm going to try and talk him into buying a different scope so I can buy the Buckmaster back off of it, need a scope for a .220 swift.I don't think a guy really needs a mildot on a .17 HMR. It shoots pretty flat out to a little past 100 yards, out to 150 just aim at the top of the head on squirrels. Past that and a .17 is not accurate enough or stable enough in the wind to need 'hold over' points. I find they are distracting as well.I have a Mueller APV on my .17 HMR, which I can't say enough good things about. 4.5-14x40mm, which seems to me to be the perfect range for a .17. Good clear glass, good warranty. Just a good buy all around for a rimfire gun. I actually have an extra, NIB I could sell you if this other guy doesn't take it. Or, just order from this guy, free shipping anyway and the cheapest price around on them, $115.http://www.windwalkeroutdoors.com/scripts/...p?idproduct=785

Look at the swift line! very clear and durable! and many models. and some great sales!!!

The banner might not be bad. I have also been looking at the Nikon pro staff's and hawks line up ............................pogo most of my shot's are 100 yards or so.I have noticed if you get out there the bullet sure drops a lot and sometimes I get them held up at 200 I like shooting from out side the pasture fence so my shots very.How do you guys feel about the Adjustable Objective scopes I don't like messing with them myself.

I put a Cabela's Pine Ridge Tactical 17 scope on one of my Savage 93TR's. I have the 6-18x40 and it's pretty clear also. What I like about it is the marked turrets. Zero it in at 100yds and you're set. I've used it to take squirrels out to over 200yds now and the turret marks are almost dead on. As long as you know the distance to target, adjust the turret to the yardage and let her rip. It also returns to zero (100yds) with no problems. Nice scope for well under $200.

^^^+1We put the Cabelas tactical 17 scope on my Dads 17HMR. Works great for a great price.I liked it so I put their Big Game Tactical scope on my Mosin Sporter.

Hawke has just come out with their new Varmint II line of scopes and RedHunterLLC has the best pricing on all of them. See them here.I just mounted one on my new .204 AR build and they are very nice, side focus, within your budget scopes.

The banner might not be bad. I have also been looking at the Nikon pro staff's and hawks line up ............................pogo most of my shot's are 100 yards or so.I have noticed if you get out there the bullet sure drops a lot and sometimes I get them held up at 200 I like shooting from out side the pasture fence so my shots very.How do you guys feel about the Adjustable Objective scopes I don't like messing with them myself.
I really like the AO scopes. It is a lot easier to shoot accurately if you can eliminate parallax error by adjusting the objective lens for the distance you are shooting to. After using one for a while, you will get used to adjusting it quickly.

I use a tasco varminter AO 6x24x42.... I think I paid $99 for it. Works awesome, no complaints.

Well, didn't like it so back it went...Put my Nikon Monarch 2.5-10 on it and off we go! :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

I ended up putting a simmons 4x14x40 on it not the best scope out there for sure but i killed 4 coyotes and a few dozen squirrels with it.I didn't hit the squirrels that hard this past summer.

I have Mueller 4.5 x 16's on 2, 17 mach 2s and on a 17HMR and really like them only used leupold scopes in the past Mueller seems to be equal in perfprmance but I have not used 1 on a rifle with high recoil.. Dave

Ive been using these for awhile.http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/bsa-...k.aspx?a=691423I got them out of a return bin after christmas a couple of years ago. My thought at the time was that if I did not like them they would look great on the grandkids BB guns. but so far they have worked great. the things I dont like about them havent been an issue on ground squirrel guns. What I dont likeIm not wild about mildots. I prefer a fine wire.Its not very clear in low light conditions. But my ground squirrel shoots are mostly durring mid day sunny conditionsand at least to my eyes the AO distances are not correct. The good things areThey have heald zero with no needed adjustments.the tracking systems worked as well as my more expencive scopes.and they have a 40mm front lense. I didnt need higher rings to mount them. Those that I have I only paid just under $6 each for, but they are as good as any under $100 scope Ive used. they are as clear as my early 1970s Leopolds, and Weavers. DR

Shooter John and Brant,What mount are you guys using to set up those 50mm objectives? I have the Bushnell banner 6-18x50 and a CZ453 varmint in 17hmr thats begging for it but my burris signature high rings are just not high enough!The gun has the 3/8" dovetail. Any help is appreciated.

Shooter John and Brant,What mount are you guys using to set up those 50mm objectives? I have the Bushnell banner 6-18x50 and a CZ453 varmint in 17hmr thats begging for it but my burris signature high rings are just not high enough!The gun has the 3/8" dovetail. Any help is appreciated.
IMG_2093.jpgThe rifle on top has the highest rings I could find. I got envited to a smallbore silhoette match and needed all the extra hight I coud get to bring the line of sight up correctly for that stock. But they would also work for big lenses. they are see thru, or sight thru by Shooters Choice. I think I found them at Wallmart. they are about 3/8" taller than high rimfire rings. the other thing you could do is use a Weaver adapter rail. it clamps onto the 3/8" rail and then uses Weaver rings. or you could put spacers under the mount [if yours unbolts Im not familure with the new CZs]. and then use longer screws. DR

dangerranger, thanks for the tip. I was thinking about that as an option.Shooterjohn are the high leupold rings high enough for the 50mm objective? the bull barrell on the CZ and the AO really make it a tight fit. Thanks again!