Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bennie

Deer Meat

4 posts in this topic

Last night I took about 7 cloves of garlic chopped up pretty small, about 3/4 of a sweet red onion chopped to a size I can still get on my fork, and a bunch of mushrooms sliced up. Threw some olive oil and and about a 1/2 stick of real butter in a large cast iron skillet got it hot and added above ingredients. (((I already had taken my deer meat and defrosted it and re-butchered it = cut off any remaining silver skin, sinew, or tendons on it and rolled it in flour then set it aside on a plate. I had also already put some corn on to boil with the other half of stick of butter and a lot of fresh crushed pepper and salt. I also already made a bunch of garlic mashed potatoes put them back in the pot on very low heat so I would just have to stir them once in a while to keep them warm. I had made some pickled cucumbers and a green salad too.))) I did it this way because for me it hard to have my meat come out the way I want it and also have every thing done at the same time. My meat ends up getting over cooked if I try to do it all at once. I then took another skillet and put some olive oil in it and added flour to brown for gravy. I added the milk salt and pepper as soon as rue was browned right. I was stirring my garlic onions and mushrooms in the other skillet at the same time. I moved this stuff to the side of skillet and added meat to the cleared room in skillet. I seasoned the added meat and put the onions garlic and mushrooms on top of it and filled the rest of the skillet up with remaining meat and seasoned it. Then I just continued to make gravy and watch meat cook over medium heat and only turned meat once. As soon as blood started to come through to out side of meat I added 1/2 of a coors light, turned it again stirring every thing together in skillet. I was playing with the heat on the gravy all the time making sure it would be done at the same time as meat. When I thought it was right I cut in to a couple of pieces with knife and made sure it was medium rare. I had 5 people to try my cooking last night and I got 5 thumbs up for this dinner. Simple but good. I have been baby sitting and cooking all week. The kids said it was Thanksgiving Dinner all over again. Will be glad when they go back to school and I can go hunting. But it has been a good week.

I just filled up on what else...more turkey, stuffing, potatoes, cranberries...and after reading that my mouth is watering big time :signbs1zn:

We had 15 over for Thanksgiving. There was not much left overs. There was not much left last night either. Kids can eat. I know if they like my cooking by how much they eat. Everyone had seconds last night. Just potatoes and salad left. Hmm what is for lunch? I am about ready to find out. :signbs1zn: I enjoy cooking and like what I cook better than what I can get at most restaurants.

I can usually cook better than most restaurants myself too (at least for myself). But when I find a place that cooks better than I that's when I have a great dining experience. Unless I'm just going for a quick bite to eat I prefer to go to a place that can do a better job than I can or I feel like I should be eating at home.