DirtyDave

Mosin 91/30 Sporty Project

23 posts in this topic

For all the Purist guys that hate when people cut up mil-surp rifles, here you go. Started out as one of the cleanest 91/30's I've ever seen. Drilled and tapped for the scope mount, cut barrel to 22", cut stock, added pistol grip and recoil pad. Gonna thread the barrel and turn out a muzzle break next.Gonna play with some lighter bullets and see if I can work up a lower recoiling varmint loadDidnt know how I wanted to paint the stock. My 10yr old girl was painting some xmas decorations white at the time and said "you should paint it white". I said "white?", then thought about it and decided to try the snow camo.MosinSnow015.jpgMosinSnow013.jpgMosinSnow010.jpgMosinSnow008.jpg

Cool stick! Let us know how it shoots.

DD nice work neighbor. I've been eyeballing those Mosin Nagants with the idea of sporterizing one myself. I'm curious, what scope mount base did you use? And did what kind of bent bolt are you using, one of the russian ones or an after market? I'm presently in the process of sporterizing two of the old Yugo Mauser M24/47's.Mc

Thanks for the comments guys.I used the ATI scope base and bolt-on handle. Dont know if I like the bolt-on handle. I will probably make my own and weld it on later down the road, but this was quick to do.

I love messing around with milsurp rifles. Here is a Mauser action that I turned into a sporter. I sent the action to E.R. Shaw and had a fluted stainless barrel fitted. Added a custom stock and here she is. By the way...if anybody is interested in that Millett TRS scope, I'll make you a great deal. I'd like to replace it with a Hawke.post-3-1290580761.jpg

There were pictures of a rifle? Huh miss it.jk sweet looking conversion!

That came out nice. I have been thinking of getting one and putting an after market stock on it.How did you attach the grip handle to it?

That came out nice. I have been thinking of getting one and putting an after market stock on it.How did you attach the grip handle to it?
There is a 1/4 Lag-bolt going through the grip, up into the stock. Then I used resin to "glue" it and shaped the resin to blend it all together so it looks like all 1 piece. You can kinda see it in the Pic I posted

Mine gets out of jail on the 7th. Havent decided what to do with it yet (as far as mods go), definately going with the bolt mod for a scope though. Yours looks great.

For all the Purist guys that hate when people cut up mil-surp rifles, here you go.
Those guys don't get pissed when a mosi gets cut up, just Mausers and Springfields. :smiley-funny-post-sign:

Bringing this one back up cuz I made some changes/updates to mine. Made a new Rail, Mounted a USO scope in Badger Rings, Raised cheek piece, Removed rear sight lug, Epoxy bedded with pillars, Re-painted.100_1901.jpg100_1902.jpg

Have you shot it yet? I had a mosin nagat I traded it in :/. Wish I would have kept it. Maybe one day I'll get another one.

Very nice Dave, did you bend the bolt your self or did you buy it like that, or even have it sent out and bent? A work buddy that I got into shooting/hunting is wanting to have his bolt for his mosin shipped out and bent. Says it is going to cost him, well, I forgot what he said it was going to cost now lol

Wife said I can buy 3 of them and do what I want :) oh yeah baby.

1 for parts

1 to keep as is (with the ww2 pu scope)

1 for my project rifle. I'm not sure how I want to do it though. I just know I want a new stock, and all of it tan with some form of DIY camo paint and a scope mount.

My question is this, do I want the hex receiver or round? I known I want the bent bolt, but what I dont want is to mount the scope so forward on the barrel, I want it mounted above the bolt so it looks like a modern rifle build. And I was thinking of bedding the stock, but I've never went forward with this plan. I think I might with this if the accuracy isn't what I was hoping for. I'm gonna drop a timney trigger in it too. Any tips on how to spot a good mosin nagant by looks? And how do we remove the cosmaline and what exactly is it?

Wow Dave nice job on the Mosin. Funny I am looking for a couple Mosin's right now and yours inspired me on the possibilities. Of course I'm no gunsmith but little by little it could be a great project. Now the big question is how does it shoot? Also did you look at the bore before purchasing your mosin. I hear that the tula is known for having better quality than the Izhevsk arsenal, but again I don't have much knowledge with them. :)