Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
zippy1970

O/u barrel cooling

3 posts in this topic

I have a Red Label in 20ga my GF shoots . We shoot 50-100rds each time we go . I take 5 , she takes 5 . we do take brakes . Not just running straight 25 . there is a " rib filler " between the upper & lower bbl . I thought if there was " more cool air " getting in between the o & u bbls it would help keep it cooler / cool off faster . am I crazy & it does not matter if there is " more air " there or not ???? The heat transfers through the forearm latch & she keeps getting irritated as to how hot it gets and won't shoot . I also had her get some padded , in the palm area , baseball gloves but have not tried them out yet . Was going to remove the bar between the bls but there is a " bugged up " allen head that will need to be moved in a different manner . Andy

Heat transferring thru the latch probably wont change any by removing the center rib filler. The forearm wood is a great insulator that helps hold heat, the latch is a wonderful conductor and sucks out that heat. The only way around it is to use the top barrel only when shooting singles and wear a glove when shooting doubles. Removing the forearm between rounds might help too. A cold blast down the bores from a bottle of compressed CO2 works really nice.