Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nomadsurfer7

turkey broadheads

9 posts in this topic

Hey,anyone have any soild advice on a good turkey broadhead. I am presently using a 125grain stinger buzz cut which has worked well with deer and pigs.

Here is a thread on the topic of broadheads for turkey. There are many more with a Google search. The GOBBLER GUILLOTINE seems to be the rage though.

that buzzcut will work just as well as any as long as the shot placement is good. my son has killed his share with a bow and uses an 85 grain stinger and they go down quick. putting the broadhead in the right spot is more important. i use a 3 blade snuffer on turkeys with my longbow. everything else gets a 2 blade. reason being is i would rather my broadhead stay in a bird rather than pass through (still get pass throughs 1/2 the time). the GOBBLER GUILLOTINE is good on head shots from what i have seen. had a guy at our ranch shoot a turkey with one and hit it square in the body. 250 yards later the bird was shot with a shotgun. went back to camp and after he shot his bow we noticed that he was hitting about 10 inches lower with the GG than with his regular arrow. its a good idea to practice with any head you hunt with it.

Speaking of broadheads....I just tried to order some broadheads from Sportsman's Guide. :smiley-funny-post-sign: I was informed that they do not ship broadheads to Kaliforniastan anymore. Apparently, our political hacks :eck05: in Sacramento are even screwing archery up. Hmmmmm.....must be the result of all of the gang attacks on innocent people using archery gear. Broadheads...AKA: Assault arrows. :fuhrer:

For turkeys it's all about shot placement as nje stated. If you are shooting a tom draw a line across the body about 1-2" above the beard over to the top of the leg. Put your pin there and let it rip! Remember the vitals on a turkey are about the size of your fist so aim small miss small. For head shot broad heads I would stay away from the GG. You have to shoot them with these little straws over the blades so they won't plane too much. 15-20 yards is max range for these. I am going to give the magnus bullheads a try this fall and see how they work, effective range is suppose to be 30+ yards, no straws and lifetime guarantee. youtube has loads of video's for both BH's. Good hunting-jb