Sign in to follow this  
mtn dog

Need guidance choosing speaker for homemade ecaller

I’m thinking about putting together an El Cheapo ecaller for my son and need a little guidance in selecting the best speaker for the fewest dollars.I’m not tech savvy enough to understand the specs of the various horn speakers on the market. I wouldn’t know an Ohm from a Hz if it bit me on my Watt! “Impedance” sounds like a problem from eating too much cheese. :D Before spending $25 on the Radio Shack Powerhorn recommended by Varmint Al, I tried to get some info on the external speakers offered by Foxpro. I want to find a speaker as good or better than their FX3 caller. Here is a link to just one of the eight external speakers sold by Foxpro. (These appear to be manufactured for them by TOA and Newmar.) http://www.gofoxpro.com/products/speakers/toa30.php($110 from Foxpro)That appears to be a TOA SC-630: http://www.toaelectronics.com/spec_sheets/...pec_updated.pdf($70 from Amazon, $45 on eBay) And here are the specs from the $25 Radio Shack Powerhorn:SpecificationsPower Handling ............. 25 Watts (RMS)Maximum Power........................ 50 WattsVoice Coil Impedance .................8 OhmsFrequency Response ........500–10,000 HzHorn Diameter ..................... 4 °— 6 Inches..........................................(102 °— 153 mm)Overall Length ................... 8 in (203 mm)Weight ...............................26.4 oz (750 g)The TOA SC630 is rated at 113 db. Radio Shack Powerhorn is 110 db.Can anyone give me a little insight? My uneducated mind thinks the Radio Shack speaker is a good choice for a low price. :D If I’m wrong, please tell me why. Thanks.

I made an el cheapo and used the radio shake speaker. It seems to work fine, i dont have a foxpro or anything to compare. I made it because it cost about $70 for everything (i already had an ipod)

Yep and thanks. I found the same to be true but I'm curious about whether there are better speakers than Radio Shack for a low price.