Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mike0909

Heavier .17 HMR

5 posts in this topic

Does any one know if the .17 HMR will ever be heavier then 20 grains? Do you think that they could make one around 30 grains or something along those line?

I would almost doubt it. 25gr is on the heavier side for even the centerfires. Velocity is one of the selling points for the .17HMR and the heavier bullets defeats that goal. If you are looking at the heavier bullets, consider the .22mag, 30gr is on the lighter side for it.

I doubt they'll ever go heavier. Velocity would drop off, toss in a longer length bullet, and now you start having to deal with possible stabilization problems and customer complaints. I think all the gun manufacturers learned a valuable lesson years ago when the whole .244 rem. ordeal happened.

The 20 gr are not bad for it.I put down cattle with a shot to the head with them.If they made them in a heavier grain then it would just be a 22 mag.

I know its not a rim fire but if you want somthing just abit bigger and still fast theres the 204. And they shoot like lazers.