Heywood

Smells like... Hick'ry

12 posts in this topic

I got my UDS finished a week ago and did a small brisket as my maiden voyage. Today I have a 7 pound pork shoulder rubbed and smoking for 2.5 hours now. Dinner will be at 6. It's holding temp rock steady at 250 degrees. I'll snap a pic tonight of the piggy.Tomorrow is ribs.post-3-1283722416.jpg

Dinner is at 6 ? Think I can make it there by then !!

It seems to be charcoal in reality. I have a small commercial smoker that works the same way. I was hoping for a more sophisticated smoke generator like what Fishwrestler was building. I guess one could easily be added. That was all but like I mentioned I found it online with more youtube version than I can count. :popcorn:

I'm burning lump hardwood in mine, a smoke generator on the attached on the side is a cool idea tho. I soaked the hickory over night.

Here is a trick I learned.... put 5 or 6 char-coal brickets in a small stack.... put many of these small stacks side by side. One stack will light the other as it burns to that stack. (it will really look like a continuses row of bricketts). What you wind up with is a very long burning fire with a near constant tempature. You want hotter... start with and continue with a bigger stack in the first place. Keep the top vents open and regulate the temps by the bottom vents.I am an inventor. I have a million ways to make a million dollars... that won't work.