Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
black_dog

Acorns

18 posts in this topic

I live at about 3000 elv. and the acorns are starting to drop. Mostly short fat ones but the deer are eating them. Might be something to check on for the D opener this Sat.

You have to grind and wash alot and there still pretty bitter. Deer love them, it don't make the meat taste better but it sure does fatten them up.

Roasted acorns are great almost as good as ripe olives right from the tree. :lol: . You can grind them up and wash them to make flour good for pancakes or bread.kinda . The stuff that you wash out you can tan hides with.

Watched 7 legal bucks and 3 spikes feed on acorns for over an hr tonight. Going to be a good season. One day and a wake up.

I'm totally jealous. All my bow buddies are taking off this pm. I'm stuck at home. (wife is 3 days over due) She would kill me if i was hunting and she went into labor!!

And she would be right. There will always be another hunting season or weekend, but there won't be another time that this child will be born. You really don't want to miss that. It is just TOO special! Believe me.

A Baby is the best trophy you can get. You do not need acorns when you have almonds.

Heres a pic of a good forky, been watching him for three years and he looked the same last year maybe a little wider this year. Don't think he is going to get better.post-3-1282364070.jpg

If youi posted that picture on Photobucket and then posted the img from there to here, it would be a lot easier to see.

I'm totally jealous. All my bow buddies are taking off this pm. I'm stuck at home. (wife is 3 days over due) She would kill me if i was hunting and she went into labor!!
You never want the wife to resent you going hunting. The interest rate for borrowing that time is too high to ever pay off.You do have some baby camo clothes picked out for the little rug rat, don't you?http://www.armynavyshop.com/camouflage-infant-camo.html

Dang thats a nice buck , love the shape of that rack. Im just hoping for a forky the size of the one in back of him. :smiley-funny-post-sign:

For future reference these are game camera pictures so they go in the appropriate forum. I'll move this posting there but if you are going to post game camera photos you need to get a Photobucket account or something like it and host those pictures there.

I'm going to take him with my bow, just missed a chance at him this morining. Could see his head and antlers, but I was standing in the middle of dry leaves and couldn't move to intercept him without spooking him. So I just let him walk away.