Airpower

Hunting Knife

43 posts in this topic

Hello all,I am in the market for a new hunting knife. The primary use of the knife is for field dressing deer and other small game. I have been using an old knife I had for years but now I would like to get a new one.There are some many choices out there I thought I would get some of your opinions.If you have you recently purchased a knife and really like it - let me know. Links appreciated! TIA Ray

Can't go wrong with a good Buck Knife!

I have two Buck Vanguards, good knives that hold their edge.

Thanks for the responses, I see that Wild Sports here in Sacramento (Orangevale) carries the Outdoor Edge knives and Bucks so I think I will swing over there tomorrow and take a look. I going to pas on the Budweiser option though.Ray

... I going to pas on the Budweiser option though.Ray
What's wrong with Bud? You prefer maybe a snooty micro-brewery bottle for gutting a deer? :653:

post-5239-1281731092.jpgI prefer Pabst Blue Ribbon I thought it only came in a can until my wife brought home some bottles. Were from? Whole Foods of all places.
What's wrong with Bud? You prefer maybe a snooty micro-brewery bottle for gutting a deer? :653:

Thanks for the responses, I see that Wild Sports here in Sacramento (Orangevale) carries the Outdoor Edge knives and Bucks so I think I will swing over there tomorrow and take a look. I going to pas on the Budweiser option though.Ray
I got mine at Sportsman's Warehouse in Rocklin, if you can't find what you're looking for at WS.

The wyoming knife is great for field dressing game. I use mine for everything from Deer to rabbits.

This is what my father-in-law bought me for my birthday. Kind of his way of saying, "I don't hate you for stealing my daughter anymore, let's go kill something together." Aah, male bonding.buck119nylon2ce6.jpg

Great knife.

Very nice!! Another good one is the Buck Skinner model/

I always carry two knives in my day pack and one on my belt. The belt or pocket knife may change from time to time but my go to hunting knives are always the same two. I have a two blade Browning that I really like. One is a blade with a gut hook the other is a bone saw. The only thing I'd change is the gut hook should be on the saw blade instead of the knife blade. Sometimes the hook gets caught when making the cut around a bucks rear vent pipe or when reaching up into the chest cavity to cut away the diaphram and sever the esophagus. For those jobs I use my Buck Woodsman. The more narrow blade of my Buck works very well for working around knee joints and on smaller game animals.100_0581.jpg

Ohh sheeeeshhh Use a REAL "knife" Miller Genuine Draft in a bottle only please :smiley-outta-here:
Only red necks and GRANDMA'S drink Miller. :smiley-outta-here:

I have another option. Why not assemble your own knife from parts you can buy from a place like Jantz Supply http://www.jantzsupply.com/cartease/ They have a good selection of different blades and handle materials to assemble your own. I have made about a half dozen knives from there catalog over the past two years and have been happy with each one I have given most of them away as gifts but they are easy to assemble and inexpensive for the parts. I built this Montana Gut hook for around $35.00. Just a thought.post-3-1281888525.jpg

Now that's a great suggestion. I, too, have made some knives from Jantz and like GoldBarron said, they are easy to make and it's fun!

Only red necks and GRANDMA'S drink Miller. :bleh[1]:
OH no You did NOT just say the G word to me???? Better start ducking LOL