4RHUNTS

Favorite Handgun

33 posts in this topic

Okay, in the same vein as other recent posts like favorite deer rifle, hog rifle, and if you could only own one rifle theme, what is your favorite handgun for any purpose, and why?For me I have to pick my Glock Model 22. The reasons for me are that it is a full sized duty pistol in .40 ca. with a proven design and ease of operation. It fits my hand real well and it is in a very popular caliber. Round capacity is 15+1 (for some), and it accepts a tactical light if desired. I think this is about the perfect defensive pistol and is of adequate power to take up to deer sized game if I had to. It is a very easy pistol to maintain and I really like its lightweight. This is my main defensive pistol at home. When out and about i carry its slightly smaller brother, the Model 23.A close 2nd for me would be my Ruger Blackhawk in 45 Colt/45 ACP. With the 45 Colt cylinder I can shoot handloads that will out perform 44 mag loads, and with the 45 ACP cylinder, I can shoot any 45 ACP rounds. This is the main handgun I take with me in the field while hunting pigs/bear/deer. For just all around fun I enjoy my 22's, my S&W 617, and my Ruger MK ll.

1st is a Ruger Super Blackhawk stainless in 44 Mag. I have a Nikon 2-8x Silver scope on it. It's a deer hunter and a hog hunter in one. Most accurate pistol I have ever owned. Shot a 1" 3-shot group at 75 yds with handloads. 2nd would be my Browning Stainless Target Buck Mark 22. (my C&C is a SW 642 w/Crimson 38 SPL but I'd put it maybe 5th.

My first is a 1911 in .45ACP, Second is Ruger Blackhawk in 44 MagnumBoth excellent firearms with great knock down.

S&W 629 CL DX in .44 mag. My 45 colt is a way more pleasant gun to shoot but if I could only have one it would be the .44 mainly because when I put the scope on it that gun is damn near rifle accurate at 100 yards.100_0170.jpg

What scope is that on your Smith?

It's a 2-6x32mm Bushnell. I've never had much luck with their rifle scopes but this pistol scope has held zero for years without a single problem.

Thanks

my well tuned para-ordanance p-14 .45acp. hands down.second, my (it never jams) browning hi-power 9mm.revolver, my dads ruger gp-100 .357.

I have to go with two favorites....My S&W 1917 .45 ACP produced by a request from US government for WW1. Sits in my bedside drawer and I love my Ruger .22 Mark111 for plinking. I call that S&W my Bonnie and Clyde :)002-6.jpg003-4.jpg016.jpg001-21.jpg

Some of you may have noted that I have a fondness for 17 caliber firearms. Here's the fav 17 in the revolver category.scope_647.jpgIt's an S&W model 647 chambered for the 17 HMR cartridge. If you can read the wind correctly it will shoot about 3" at a hundred.When there's time for leisurely shots at extended ranges the S&W Model 29 works well.44mag.jpgThat's mine left over from my IHMSA competition days. Chickens at 200 meters anyone??? ;)

My S&W 1917 .45 ACP produced by a request from US government for WW1. MikeNC, that is a really REALLY cool pistol

MikeNC, that is a really REALLY cool pistol
Thanks and as luck would have it the serial number #16788 is considered low and a first run in 1917. There is quite a history about this model 1917. We have had it in the family since the mid 1970's.001-4.jpg

I don't have that many to pick from I like my xd-40 it's fun to shoot.The one I shoot the most is the sig misquito do to how cheap it is to shoot. It's a little ammo picky shoots federal bulk pack just great.

I love my XD's. I've only got five or six handguns and out of them, I'd have a hard time deciding between my 4" XD .45 and 3" XD .40. They just feel good in my hands, shoot well, and are sooo reliable. Now, if I had an EMP, I might change my mind.

I have a Colt Python, 357 mag that shoots pretty good.

My .41 ruger red hawk..

Favorite to just shoot is an old Ruger Single six in 22 LR/Mag. Fun little pistol.Bought a Ruger LCP for the wife to carry, and I've carried it more than her, I really like it. She just keeps it in her pickup so size isn't such an issue for her, whereas I'm carrying it on person, and the LCP really lives up to its name. I know two others guys that have bought them since they tried mine, sure work well with a pocket holster.

My favorite handgun would be my SW model 59. It was my Dads first service weapon, given to me on my 21st birthday.

Favorite? Hard to say. But my Kel-Tec .380 is ALWAYS with me. Some consider it a "junk" gun, but this one has over 1500 rounds and I've never had a problem with it.

The only hand gun in my safe currently is a Beretta PX4 9mm. Once a 5 inch XD takes up residence it may become the new favorite pistol.

They are all favorites thats why I got them. I will second the delta elite, its just nice to have. the problem with favorite is it is probably not your everyday gun, so my favorite is my FA, it is built very nice and gets attention when it is pulled out

I have a Thompson Center Contender with 3 barrels. One is a 10" Octagon chambered in .222 Remington with a T/C 3 power scope. This thing makes a big noise when it goes off, but its fun to shoot. Another barrel is a 14" bull barrel in 30 Herrett, topped with a Leupold 2 power scope. The 3rd barrel is also a 14" bull barrel chambered for a .357 Herrett, with a 2 power Leupold scope. I was at the Laguna Seca range with the 30 Herrett one day. They have a steel plate at 300 yards. There was a guy to my right trying to hit that "gong". His son was to my left trying to hit it, they were both using rifles. I was hitting it with every shot. Finally the kid perks up and says "Dad, can you believe it! He's hitting it with a handgun!" I was aiming about 8" over the top of it.

My favorite for sure is my S&W model 19 6 in. I have a 66 in 4 in but I shoot the 19 way way better and it was my first revolver. Dad gave it to me for my 24th birthday. It is also a great back up for my 1894c. My .22 of choice is a toss up between my High Standard double nine and my ruger mk11. I shoot better with the mk11 but I always carry the double nine in the field. It is great for nailing the coons that kill my chickens, ducks and trash.