Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RLS

Almost as fun as Hunting

13 posts in this topic

post-3-1265067339.jpgpost-3-1265067344.jpgpost-3-1265067350.jpgpost-3-1265067355.jpgI spent a good part of the day helping a friend with this goat. It is a lot of fun watching it come together. If any one complains about what it cost for taxidermy work you should watch what it takes. He has about 40 hours into this goat so far. He will spend 15 - 20 more. The the rock will come and that will take a few more.

That's pretty awesome to see. I was just at the Taxidermist last week dropping off my Bear and he still had at least 25 deer to do from last year. It's a time consuming process..Thanks

My friend does it for a side job. I think he must make about $4.50 per hour. He does it for the fun not the money. Every time he starts a big project he says he is going to charge more next time.He has about 8 pigs on his wall and a great coyote. If I remember I will try to get a picture of his coyote. He is the one that got me interested in varmint hunting.

That's pretty neat getting to help out and watching it come together. Lots of things involved in that sort of work.

I spent a good part of the day helping a friend with this goat. It is a lot of fun watching it come together. If any one complains about what it cost for taxidermy work you should watch what it takes. He has about 40 hours into this goat so far. He will spend 15 - 20 more.
It is very time consuming now, but when I taught a class in taxidermy about 28 years go, they din't have all of the preformed molds and foam casting to build off of. You had to construct the body from the measurments you had taken from the body of the animal. In some ways, I think it was a bit better because the finished mount was more precisely the size of the orignal carcass.db

great pics I have a friend who use to do taxidermy work. he did all kinds of animals but loved doing waterfowl. he placed at the national level several times with wterfowl. I use to build his display cases for him. It was amazing watching his work evolve. My cousin has a qual he did like 20 yrs ago it looked like something out of a old cabin very rustic looking. Now his stuff looks like artwork. He quit doing it as a business took up way to much time

It is very time consuming now, but when I taught a class in taxidermy about 28 years go, they din't have all of the preformed molds and foam casting to build off of. You had to construct the body from the measurments you had taken from the body of the animal. In some ways, I think it was a bit better because the finished mount was more precisely the size of the orignal carcass.db
My friend has about 30 hours in this foam casting making it fit the size of the animal. He had to add about 12 inches in length. He had to add in several places to get it to work correctly. I guess if he cut the skin to fit the form you would be right but he makes the form fit the skin. It would be harder if he didn't have the form but watching him he could do it. He makes all kind of changes and additions. The last goat he did the hunter had shot off half a horn. He remade it and it looked great.

My friend has about 30 hours in this foam casting making it fit the size of the animal. He had to add about 12 inches in length. He had to add in several places to get it to work correctly. I guess if he cut the skin to fit the form you would be right but he makes the form fit the skin. It would be harder if he didn't have the form but watching him he could do it. He makes all kind of changes and additions. The last goat he did the hunter had shot off half a horn. He remade it and it looked great.
Sounds like your taxidermist friend is "Old School". He must really put his heart into it. The next time you stop in at his studio, take some pics and share it with us. I love to see artwork in nature.db

post-3-1265067135.jpgProgress on the goat.post-3-1265067143.jpgSome pigs he did. He did one a few months ago that was the best pig I had ever seen. post-3-1265067148.jpgRug he is almost finished with.post-3-1265067161.jpgCoyote on his wall.Taxidermy is a Hobby/side job.